Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

soloing with the major scale

12K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cyirkpum 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was just wondering how do you connect all the modes so you can go through them all? I can do it with the Blues/Minor pentatonic scale, but the way I learned those is different than the way I have the modes written down. Like with the Blues/Minor Pentatonic scales there were 5 modes and if you used the hopscotch method(which is where you go through 2 "modes" of a scale string by string until you go from the low E to the high E and back to the low E) you could easily remember how to move through the entire scale. But with the modes they aren't divided like the Blues/Minor Pentatonic scales, each mode is a whole step up from the last(C Ionian,D Dorian, E Phrygian, etc). So if I've made any sense in the post, can someone please give me some tips on this subject? Thanks,

#3 ·
Dude thank you! I don't know why I didn't see it like that before! Wonderful Article! Thank You!!!

#5 ·
Here is a simple chart that I put together to help me learn and remember scale positions.

Pentatonic scales - position 1-5
Play in any key by using the root note and the patterns remain the same.

Major Scales (Home as Root) - positions 1-7
Play in the same key by using the root notes, up and down the fretboard.

Major Scales (Mode as Root) - positions 1-7
Positions are the same as above however the Root Note changes into the mode.

Paul

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.