Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Some NWOBHM from 1985..."Breakaway"

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  wahwah 
#1 · (Edited)
WAHWAH...Some NWOBHM from 1985...Black Rose "Breakaway"

This track is from a 4 track demo that became the 'Nightmare' EP in 1985. I'd love to say it was me on guitar but I'd left and they got a guy called Ian Iredale in for a while. The writing got catchier and Ian was a great player...I always thought these 4 tracks were the best stuff Black Rose did. They really showed off the rythm section of Malla on drums and Mick on bass who were amazing. Check 'em out.
:thumb:

#4 ·
20 years on eh? scary how time flies. I think this is better than a great many UK Heavy Rock acts at the time. I like the fact it sounds English too, bands like Def Leppard where trying too hard to sound american. This is good mate. It is a shame you weren't in the band at this stage but as you say, the song is a strong one and it is a pleasure to hear it. Thanks :thumb:

#5 ·
Thanks mate...I rejoined the band about 6 months after this was recorded so I got to play this stuff after all. I left because we got lazy with our writing. When I went, Steve started writing more stuff and he came up with some very commercial but heavy stuff. Do you remember a band from your town called Chinatown? Well our old bass player Marty Rajn was with that lot for a while.

Thanks for listening.

#7 ·
Thats the track that has just been released on the compilation album thru www.hardrockin80s.com mate. It's another catchy song but the master tape is starting to wear out and it suffers because of it. Thanks for listening Poddy.

#8 ·
Great stuff again, wahwah. I won't piss you off by reiterating that you should have made it big ! Great song, and thanx for sharing. Although Porty says it sounds British, which it does, it kind of reminds me of stuff from Bon Jovi's first album.

Well, I probably pissed you off good and proper. But what the fuck. It remonds me of it a lot, but this is a lot rawer. Very controlled chunky playing.

Can't believe we have such guitar gods amongst us.

I gotta go work on my bends again !

:doh:

#11 ·
wahwah said:
Thanks mate...I rejoined the band about 6 months after this was recorded so I got to play this stuff after all. I left because we got lazy with our writing. When I went, Steve started writing more stuff and he came up with some very commercial but heavy stuff. Do you remember a band from your town called Chinatown? Well our old bass player Marty Rajn was with that lot for a while.

Thanks for listening.
Yeah I remember the name Chinatown. there were a few decent rock bands around that time. The Quikken, Circus, Circle of 5ths, Voltz, Chinatown, Vicious Circle etc. Great Bands.

#12 ·
Thanks people...

Mondy, I've got another track called 'Rock Me Hard' which sounds MORE early Bon Jovi meets UFO and a very Maidenesque track called 'Nightmare', I'll post 'em up later.

Thanks all for commenting. :thumb:

#18 ·
I always figured that demos are when a band has the most energy for a particular song, although a good producer can help recapture a lot of that energy later. This is a very spirited performance and well-produced for a four-tracker. The vocals are very strong, although it's hard to tell if this song would have had real "breakaway" potential. The talent is there, but the song doesn't have a standout hook, IMO. This almost sounds like one of those songs that you'd hear in the soundtrack of an 80s movie, which could have been a cool way to achieve fame.

#20 ·
ksdb said:
I always figured that demos are when a band has the most energy for a particular song, although a good producer can help recapture a lot of that energy later. This is a very spirited performance and well-produced for a four-tracker. The vocals are very strong, although it's hard to tell if this song would have had real "breakaway" potential. The talent is there, but the song doesn't have a standout hook, IMO. This almost sounds like one of those songs that you'd hear in the soundtrack of an 80s movie, which could have been a cool way to achieve fame.
Ahh...I think my use of the phrase '4-track' has been misconstrued! :wtf: What I meant was that it was a four SONG EP! It was recorded in (for want of a better word!) professional studio...namely NEAT in Walsend...home of Raven, Venom, Fist, White Spirit etc. Most of the Venom stuff was recorded there as well as other bands such as Atomkraft, Jaguar, Tysondog, Alien.

But, thanks for your comments...I wish it HAD been in a big time movie and made me pots of gold...:ball:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.