Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone!

I have never uploaded this song anywhere. I always thought it was too disco like. But some people tell me it's kinda cool.

It's a song called "But You Can't" and it's about a guy and a gal who go out for a ride in thier Benzo and get smacked by a semi-truck.

Yes, thats me with the fuzzy sounding rants and rambles - telling the story. I made it sound fuzzy like that on purpose.

My old pal Dale Pederson had a keyboard and I used it for the Drums and Bass sounds. The guitar I played was a Fender Squire strat through my old Yamaha FX-500 processor (It's toast now) and a Cry Baby Wha Wha.

The disco rhythm guitar parts were done in true stereo - with a Boss Stereo Chorus pedal with left and right outs. And if you listen VERY closely during the solo parts, you'll hear me droning on some notes in the background - why? Who the hell knows :)

Is this song a joke? I'm not even sure - you be the judge.
 

·
Crazy Admin
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
i had a listen and whoa ! .. was way different than i thought it would be !

nicely put together firstly .. the drum and bass and playing was all tight !

the spoken distorted word thing was very interesting i must say .. it didn't really grab me as i couldn't figure out what you were saying but it was a nice effect to make this song really unique ..

nice solo too ..

overall i liked this pj .. you have some interesting ideas. . i don't think it was that disco at all .. having said that i wouldn't know what to classify it as ! hehe ..nice work
 

·
~Free Will~
Joined
·
6,028 Posts
I'm with Stiggy on this...This is very unique...I love diff stuff...i enjoyed this..It has that Beck feel with a rock edge..Great stuff PJ!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stiglar said:
i had a listen and whoa ! .. was way different than i thought it would be !

nicely put together firstly .. the drum and bass and playing was all tight !

the spoken distorted word thing was very interesting i must say .. it didn't really grab me as i couldn't figure out what you were saying but it was a nice effect to make this song really unique ..

nice solo too ..

overall i liked this pj .. you have some interesting ideas. . i don't think it was that disco at all .. having said that i wouldn't know what to classify it as ! hehe ..nice work
Thanks so much for the feedback on the tune there Stig - it's nice to know what people think about stuff sometimes.

I'm glad I was able to surprise you with this song! I guess when I said Disco that was maybe the wrong description.

Yeah the spoken word thing was supposed to be so distorted as to hardly be understood. I guess that effect worked :)

Yeah what do you classify this song as? Rock? Dance? I dunno :)

Thanks much Stig.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rain said:
I'm with Stiggy on this...This is very unique...I love diff stuff...i enjoyed this..It has that Beck feel with a rock edge..Great stuff PJ!
Hey Rain, thanks much for the listen!

It has that Beck feel to it? I think thats a fair statement alright!

Thanks much for the feedback there Rain!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rid said:
Beck indeed...quirky and fun!
Loved it man!
Kool, thanks Rid for the feedback!

Quirky - but is it obvious? Like I'm trying to be different or something? I'm so paranoid sometimes :)

I was just having fun the day I made this song. I'm glad some of you like the song. I guess I do have a lot of different areas I play guitar on. I just think it's fun to be fresh and try new stuff - but not totally copy another guitarist - but learn from what THEY do and aply it.

Thanks much ya'll
 

·
excess to requirements
Joined
·
7,118 Posts
This reminds me a little of captain beefheart - clever stuff and the lead is completely off the wall. excellent stuff. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,264 Posts
This was very cool, enjoyed it, great job!! :thumb: :thumb:
 

·
Playin The Blues
Joined
·
1,990 Posts
Nice lil beat ya got goin there pj and I dig the lead as well ! Good job ! Who says theres sumfin wrong wif disco hahahah . I did a kc and the sunshine tune on here lol ... I'd think peeps would have disliked that more than this hehehe . This is cool pj and I like disco !
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zeppy said:
Nice lil beat ya got goin there pj and I dig the lead as well ! Good job ! Who says theres sumfin wrong wif disco hahahah . I did a kc and the sunshine tune on here lol ... I'd think peeps would have disliked that more than this hehehe . This is cool pj and I like disco !
Hey thanks for the feedback Zeppy!

I have to admit - I like some disco too!

I can't believe I said that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
I liked your solos a lot. You're a very expressive and fluid player. The rest of the song has this unusual sensation to it, as if one was listening to an AM radio. You definitely get high marks for originality in the composition and production. :thumb: :thumb:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ksdb said:
I liked your solos a lot. You're a very expressive and fluid player. The rest of the song has this unusual sensation to it, as if one was listening to an AM radio. You definitely get high marks for originality in the composition and production. :thumb: :thumb:
Hey thats some great feedback there Ksdb - I never thought of it that way before you mentioned it - AM radio - totally man!

Thanks for the responce! I think you nailed it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Great stuff. The guitar almost sounds like a talk box in places. Sounds like it could be on a soundtrack to something. The only thing is that it could have maybe done with a different section considering it's over 5 mins long it gets a little repetitive. The playing is great.:icon_thum
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
phil28uk said:
Great stuff. The guitar almost sounds like a talk box in places. Sounds like it could be on a soundtrack to something. The only thing is that it could have maybe done with a different section considering it's over 5 mins long it gets a little repetitive. The playing is great.:icon_thum
Thanks Phill - feedback helps.

It does get kinda long - but the song was a test - not a production or musical masterpiece. It was made for fun, not to win contests. I agree it does need a new section and it would be fun to take the track back into production and do that.

Thanks again Phill..
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top