Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what any of you other songwriters find to be the worst part of songwriting? (I'm partially venting right now I suppose).

I find writing drum parts (and then placing them spot by spot on the midi grid) to be the worst part of songwriting. I swear it's the single thing that holds back the majority of my songs from getting finished. Once the drum tracks are figured out (both written and recorded (on the midi grid) then the rest of the recording is fun and goes along nicely.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Flet said:
Just wondering what any of you other songwriters find to be the worst part of songwriting? (I'm partially venting right now I suppose).

I find writing drum parts (and then placing them spot by spot on the midi grid) to be the worst part of songwriting. I swear it's the single thing that holds back the majority of my songs from getting finished. Once the drum tracks are figured out (both written and recorded (on the midi grid) then the rest of the recording is fun and goes along nicely.
Why that's not the worst part of song writing ... that's the worst part of recording! :smile:

And yeah ... I agree.
Laying drum tracks is a PITA!

Suggestion ... always keep your recording gear set-up so all you have to do is "plug in" whenever you have ideas.
Write and record acoustically (or without drum tracks) and put all your ideas down on tape while they're fresh in your mind.
Then maybe sit down the following day and work out all the drum parts.

I've been there brutha ... I feel your pain. ;)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I agree....getting down drum tracks is one pain in ass! Its the mainl reason I don't do a lot more recording.

·
Incognito Wanderer
105 Posts
Writing a good melody is always the hardest part for me, as this is the one element that makes or breaks a song; everything else is so secondary. Some songs don't even need drums, but merely some sort of percussion. I also have a heck of a time arranging. I might come up with 4 or 5 different arrangements and in then end up using none of them. Composing string parts is also somewhat of nightmare, or rather a tedious process. I compose them as would an actual symphonic conductor. I write four tracks of that; 1st & 2nd violins, and then violas & cello.

·
Registered
285 Posts
jothan2004 said:
Writing a good melody is always the hardest part for me, as this is the one element that makes or breaks a song; everything else is so secondary. Some songs don't even need drums, but merely some sort of percussion. I also have a heck of a time arranging. I might come up with 4 or 5 different arrangements and in then end up using none of them. Composing string parts is also somewhat of nightmare, or rather a tedious process. I compose them as would an actual symphonic conductor. I write four tracks of that; 1st & 2nd violins, and then violas & cello.
I agree in that the melody is the most important part, at least for you and I. But it is not so hard for me to find a cool melody. All I do is take an interesting chord progression, improvise over it, and see what comes out. Most of the time, Ill find a cool idea and build on it from there.

For me, the hardest part is deciphering what key im in or what mode/scale to use if any at all.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Related to the people's above me, yeah, coming up with the melody is the hardest part for me.

There was a time when I had all kinds of spooky melodies popping out of my head, but, somewhere along the road, fresh melodies just kinda stopped coming to me...

I can't tell you how many times I've sat down in front of my computer to start a project, and then I realize, "hey, this sounds just like something you've already done before, give people something new"

·
Registered
189 Posts
I find writing the chords quite difficult as I tend to be quite good at write riffs and stuff/lyrics.

Any cool methods for writing chords or rather how you make chords flow well?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
fonosatch said:
I find writing the chords quite difficult as I tend to be quite good at write riffs and stuff/lyrics.

Any cool methods for writing chords or rather how you make chords flow well?
Yep, there are,, but you're better off just making up your own chord progressions IMHO.

Well, actually, there's one progression that I do love and will always make your music sound keen. Thats the I-vi-ii-V progression.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Oh yes, I always find the drum tracks to be the most difficult and complex thing to do. Once you know the chords then a bass and rhythm track is easy to put together, but the drum track is a completely different thing. Sometime I give up trying to figure out what the time signature of my song is :p

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'll admit it is kinda hard figure out what time signature you're in at first but it gets easier with time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts