Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
New the the forum, and new to songwriting/lyrics - was wondering if anyone knew of any great songwriting books out there? Something that would give me an all around idea on how to become a better songwriter. I'm sure I could scour the web all day gathering for info, but maybe you all know of one that will help me along my way. Thank you for your responses and if I come across anything I love I'll tell you about it too!

Thanks!

-Melody

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not sure of the kind of music your interested in, but heres a few books that helped me back in the day...

The New Comprehensive American Rhyming Dictionary by Sue Young - This one is good for writing lyrics.

Secrets To Writing Killer Metal Songs by Troy Stetina and Shauna Joyce - This one will teach you how how to structure your songs.

Hope this helps..good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The best book I've found was written by Pat Pattison called Writing Better Lyrics: The Essential Guide to Powerful Songwriting. Pat is an instructor at Berklee Music. He also has videos up on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/BerkleeMusic/videos?query=Pat+Pattison . The videos also go into phrasing and a myriad of other things associated with songwriting.

I have another one too that goes over structure (verse, chorus, bridge, etc) but I'll have to find it and then re-post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts