Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My humble system comprises of a 2.2 GHZ AMD , AUDIGY PLATINUM , 512 K RAM , AOPEN GKN 600 MOTHERBOARD , i dont appear to have any problems at all with latency , pops or clicks and recording goes very smoothly . Ozone might cause a system slow down now and again but my question is what would the benefits be for me if i changed my soundcard , which i know if poorly rated , for say an M audio or similar ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you're satisfied with your recordings, don't change. A better soundcard propably would give you better mic preamp, but i don't know if you have any use for one. If you use some little mixer you don't need a mic preamp.
A good soundcard might offer more ins and outs, maybe you could record several instruments at the same time.
Also you propably could take advantage from Asio drivers and use real time effects. Creative's cards haven't coped too well with these, don't know how your Audigy handles them.

So it depends really on what you need and want from a soundcard. If you would use your good audio card same way than your Audigy, you'll maybe find little or no difference at all. Except on your bank account.
But if you have use for extra featurures some other card gives, then it's worth considering.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
linda said:
My humble system comprises of a 2.2 GHZ AMD , AUDIGY PLATINUM , 512 K RAM , AOPEN GKN 600 MOTHERBOARD , i dont appear to have any problems at all with latency , pops or clicks and recording goes very smoothly . Ozone might cause a system slow down now and again but my question is what would the benefits be for me if i changed my soundcard , which i know if poorly rated , for say an M audio or similar ?
Linda your recordings sound fine, believe me. Go for another card if you suddenly need to have multiple inputs for micing an entire band at once. Ozone slowing down your system is remedied by more RAM and a faster CPU. You can get more use out of that app by applying the effect afterwards, then freezing that track to apply it to another one. This way you don't tax your system. Personally I am amazed how you get such a great sound with what you have. I'm afraid if you start farting with it you're gonna somehow kill those excellent posts.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I just replied on texasaxeslingers post on this. sting is correct about ozone - it is nothing to do with the audio card, merely processor/memory limitations. However I beg to differ on the quality. 96kHz cards can be purchased very cheap and really do improve the quality.

Where it helps most is with getting a decent source signal. vocals and anything else for that matter sound cleaner and better defined. Linda and Bluesplayer get amazing results with the creative card. much better than I got with mine. however the new 96kHz card makes life very easy for me and mixing is a breeze because the quality is not compromised.

Just my opinion but upgrading has been a revalation to me.

G

·
I just got an audigy platinum zs 2 and its pretty good. I think that pretty much all the audigy stuff has about the same specs, so if you were to buy a different card, you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference in sound quality. the platinum does give some pretty sick inputs and stuff though. oh, and this is my first post :)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
yip most of the audigys have a max sample rate of 48kHz and operate best at that setting. it is pretty non standard and can cause a few problems from time to time. they also are prone to popping and crackling once there are any processor hungry vsti/dxi instruments running. they are not bad cards but there are better ones for recording in the same price range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts