SPOCK'S BEARD feat. NEAL MORSE & NICK D' VIRGILIO
NIGHT OF THE PROG FESTIVAL XI XI - Loreley, Sankt Goarshausen, Germany
2016-07-15
(audience recording)

----------------------------------------------
"SNOW" ON THE LORELEY
----------------------------------------------

** CONTRAST CLAUSE (AUDIO)** :
The synced audio-recording is a different recording than the one uploaded by Fliederchris (still seeded here : www.dimeadozen.org :: EzTorrent v0.7.0r484 :: Login) which is an excellent and especially "clean" recording, but it sounded to me a little "distant" and has a quite small stereo-field.
Most of my NOTP recordings were very chatty (dutch and english mostly), so I was very happy about Fliederchris' uploads. (especially about this, see below)
But in this case I really want to add my recording to the community ...
IMHO mine has a much wider stereo-field (although it's shifting a little from time to time with a tendency to the right) and it is now -after remastering- much brighter and more "in the face" ...
on the other hand mine has some more "live-atmosphere" (not everybody appreciates THAT) - it has some heavy clappers close left and right (but thankfully some very precise ones), and some (but very few) chatting, too.
decide for yourself !

** CONTRAST CLAUSE (VIDEO)**
The video-material is different to the very good/much better 3-parted HD-recording in Youtube by Bernhard Rauch.
different gear, different position, different view/recording and not HD

**end of contrast clause **

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lineage:

VIDEO: JVC GZ-MG330-HE > PC(via USB) > VirtualDub > Premiere (audio-sync) > DVD Power Tools (authorising)

AUDIO: Soundman OKM I > ZOOM H1 (16/44,1) > PC(via USB) > Wavelab (EQ, edit, conversion>16/48) > Premiere (synced)

recording position: 3rd row of the upper ring, 5m right of center

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

set-list:

00. - (announcement) (0.15)

01. Made Alive / Overture (5.41)
02. Stranger in a Strange Land (4.28)
03. Long Time Suffering (6.00)
04. Welcome to NYC (3.42)
05. Love Beyond Words (3.14)
06. The 39th Street Blues (I'm Sick) (4.12)
07. Devil's Got My Throat (7.25)
08. Open Wide the Flood Gates (5.51)
09. Open the Gates Part 2 (2.58)
10. Solitary Soul (8.09)
11. Wind at My Back (5.25)
12. Second Overture (3.37)
13. 4th of July (3.00)
14. I'm the Guy (4.31)
15. Reflection (2.45)
16. Carie (3.53) *
17. - (the talking spot) (0.50)
18. Looking for Answers (5.31)
19. Freak Boy (2.27)
20. All Is Vanity (4.33)
21. I'm Dying (5.01)
22. Freak Boy Part 2 (2.47)
23. Devil's Got My Throat Revisited (2.01)
24. Snow's Night Out (2.06)
25. Ladies and Gentlemen, Mister Ryo Okumoto on the Keyboards (6.36)
26. I Will Go (5.47)
27. Made Alive Again / Wind at My Back (6.53)
28. Falling for Forever (incl.drum duet) (31.30)

Time: 152 min

* I used 12 (remastered) seconds of the recording of dear SF to replace a loud "comment" into my right ear ( ... to shot off or dim that "thing" that was disturbing his pleasure of the concert) ... no comment on that !

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan Morse (g, voc)
Dave Meros (bg, pedals)
Ryo Okumoto (keys)
Ted Leonard (g, voc)
Jimmy Keegan (dr, voc)
+
Neal Morse (voc, g, keys)
Nick D'Virgilio (dr, voc)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOCK'S BEARD reunited with NEAL MORSE playing the whole "SNOW"-album !!! -
WAH-WHOO !!! a dream came true, even if it's only a one-(ok, two)times event ...
Next to the (not uploadable) HAWKWIND-concert THIS was (of course) the main reason for me to visit the NOTP for the first time - all the years before it always happened parallel to Herzberg or later Zappanale.
So, this year I dropped the Zappanale and spent 3 wonderful days at the Loreley (before the surrounding will become a big construction site of a nobel deluxe hotel next year ... so I've heard (???)
Hard work, if you do not want to miss a single concert of the festival ( ;-) ).
In fact I dropped each first band of all 3 days ... way too early ( :) )

This is my first video-upload here on Dime, and I hope I got it right and you're all not too disappointed about it

The video is done with an monopod-mounted older, not so state-of-the-art digital JVC-cam in 16:9 standart-resolution (but highest quality-mode in camera).
To enhance the video as much as possible and to get rid of the scanlines (and some sync-problems) I converted it first in VirtualDub before syncing it to my audio-recording (converted before to 48kHz) and authoring it to DVD,
The picture-quality is not half as good as the HD-recording from first row, which is uploaded in Youtube, but you get the complete show from a different perspective a little more above the stage, with usual camera work (zooms, close ups etc).
The first 8 min are quite a mess, very shaky (moved around to get a view), out of picture, people standing up in front of camera and and and ... but from minute 8 on I found a usable angle and the view became quite stable (although there are some "distractions" from time to time of course)

As mentioned above, the audio is a very good recording, except for the hard clappings here and there and the very few chattings.
(to be honest, I'm not really annoyed by motivated and precise clappers, who know WHEN to clap and when to keep the hands (and the mouth) still - that's part of the LIVE-experience-energy)
Of course I did some EQing as usual (in fact 2 runs), just the common, raising heights and adding some to the bass drum and a little flesh in the middle (second run !).
+ (as always) some soundboard-like mastering-compression, nothing pumping audible, just to limit the claps and to give the "in-the-face-punch".

Here is the extended DVD-File-analysis, done by SUPER

ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Format_Settings_GOP : M=3, N=12

Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 6 756 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 6 900 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Scan order : Bottom Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.652
Stream size : 908 MiB (93%)

Audio ID : 192 (0xC0)
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Duration : 18mn 46s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 224 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 30.1 MiB (3%)

cover-artwork added

Support the artists!
Buy their official releases, merchandises, and especially their concert-tickets !
And if you want to support them most effectivly :
Buy their stuff at concerts directly FROM the artists or via their homepages !!!

Trade freely!
DO NOT SELL !

https://pastebin.com/xMArfwjN

1 - 1 of 1 Posts