Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is NOT a technical question but i've been bothered by it for a while haha, sorry but here it goes

- Do , you stack owners, play gigs, if no -> why the hell did you buy a stack.

·
Registered
500 Posts
IDK about You; but I bought a stack (5150-beyatch!) for these reasons:

1: It backs me up in ways other amps just can't, no matter where I play, or at what volume. :sap:

2: It sounds friggin awesome!! :yumyum:

3: The ladies love a man who's "stacked"..... :D

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
SemiShred said:
This is NOT a technical question but i've been bothered by it for a while haha, sorry but here it goes

- Do , you stack owners, play gigs, if no -> why the hell did you buy a stack.
I have a half stack and I have gotten flack for it from some prof. players who choose to only use small combo amps.

But see, I didn't buy it for them. I bought a particular head because it rocked...sounded better than anything I had ever heard before, and I needed the speakers to back it up. If I had boughten a 2x12 I would have blown them already because I have had the amp up to 11.

I bought my amp because it sounds frickin awesome. That is the sole reasoning behind my act. If some people don't undestand that it is their problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
.........Always wanted that cool full sound of 4x12 cabinet

.........looks cool!!!

.........4x12 spreads sound more than say........ahhhhhhh.......................................a 1x12 enclosure.:doh:

If our monitor setup is limited, I need at least one cabinet to cut over a drummer properly........oh by the way, it's a good way to 'Wake the Neighbors'!!!!

ET:bannana_g

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha, i never play loud, so the neighbours never complain
i know a stack looks cool ... but i just dont have the money for it... even if i had, its not worth it for me... just my opinion (thinks about robbin' bill gates)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hey there...i bought this stack..or half-stack...because it was signed by jim marshall...it seems somehow "blessed" by his personal endorsement...it has a lot of character...or "balls" to use the technical term... :icon_thum

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ha, now thats a reason, I see you have a white strat, Yngwie like and a Dunlop Jh1 if I'm not mistaking, freak :D

I'm gonna sell all my pedals, also have that one

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
yeah...it's more like a jimi hendrix strat...i play just like him...not talent wise...but we both use a pick... :scif890:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well...jimihendrix...I didn't know you was a Strat/Marshall man...and a red Marshall at that! Cool! :icon_thum On the subject of stacks...most clubs won't let you bring a stack in anymore...too loud. For outside gigs...or a very large concert (think arena sized) you can pretty much blast away. I have several configurations of heads and cabinets so that I can size my rig to the gig.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have and rarely play out of the house becasue (as stated above)....it looks cool.:icon_thum

No really it does get a much fuller sound than a combo...and I can sit on the cabinet while I play.:crazy:

I'd like to get another cabinet so I could put one is each corner of the room and run a nice stereo setup with my Vetta HD.:icon_thum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love my stack

:devilchil I use a Marshall valvestate stack and a half.We're an energetic group and I get the on stage coverage I need.Plus,it frickin' looks good!!!!!!!!!!
Never played where I couldn't get the whole rig up.
I guess I'm a child of the eighties and the marshall stack was the holy grail of amps.
Clay :rock:

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I have a 5150II and if your playing rock and riffing or soloing nothing beats a stack , i've played many combo amps .. but to me that thump i can get out of my stack just feels great ! ..

I also play alot of jazz and quieter stuff , so for that i don't really need anything bigger than my combo amp when i gig .

even when i go extended periods without gigging with the 5150II , having it at home is just awesome , playing super loud is the only way sometimes to get yourself out of a bad mood !

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yay-uh!!

Aside from the reasons I said earlier in the thread, here's a few more:

1: the sound is always awesome, at any volume, but I only have to play through my crap Crate to remind myself what a lucky bastard I am...

2: The price was very awesome, at $370 US, and that is another example of what a lucky bastard I am!!!

Damn! I AM a LUCKY Bastard!!! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 4X12 sounds fuller with more balls. I can get my '73 JMP down to rehersal volumes with a hotplate attunuator and also mine was modified with a Master Volume. Plus I have an OLD Crate 4x12 cabinet which breaks up at lower volumes because they have like 12W speakers in them. I've used both, Marshalls and this Cab and I love this one more. The Marshall Cab HAS to be loud for the speakers to break up.

Also, my backup is a TubeWatts 30W 1-12" combo. It has a line out and when hooked to the 4X12" its sounds pretty full even at low volumes (just above bedroom).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts