Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Short of a few cross words here and there (let's not..) This is my first "official" thread....and I'm glad to participate!

It's well known (or maybe it's not). I don't play guitar. But I'm a guitar FREAK. I love the sound, I love the tone, I love the creativity....I just love every aspect of the music. To me, there's a few great players out there that transcend the "norm". Of course, Van Halen, Satriani, Vai, Hendrix, Perry, Schon. One, to me, stands out with them all (not necessarily better, but right on par with all of them). Brian May. So, I wanted to see what you all could do on one of his songs.

Title: Last Horizon.

I'll give you the original, and the backing track, and there are links to tabs all over the internet if you feel you need them (that's not a bad thing...)

1) This is NOT a battle. It's not a competition. It's a showcase of talent. Anyone is welcome to participate....but if you participate, be prepared to accept the criticism others may offer. Most people are cool with that.

2) Rules are simple. Stick to the song. Play the song...Play it like you were playing "THAT SONG".... You don't have to match tone. If you have a tone that you feel is better, or would make it more "your" style....go for it! Make the song "Yours" but play "that" song... Throw on there whatever you feel like throwin on there. It's an instrumental, so there wont be any vocal to get in your way. It's hard to emulate the sound combination of the Red Special and the Vox Amp...so do what you feel is good, but play "that song". To clarify, it's not a jam over someone elses backer. It's an attempt to recreate that song with your own "flare".

3) No time limit....for all I care, this thread can go as long as people want to participate or until someone shuts it down. Just indicate you want to play....I'm sure everyone will wait.

:rock: Ready. Set. Go! :jam:

P.S. If this is in the wrong area, someone kindly move it as needed. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
I would probably prefer to see this over in the Jams section since it isn't a battle. Then if anyone wanted to use the backing as a battle they could. So I will move it over there plus it will probably get more traffic over there.

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Nice piece! I was thinking, "right...that middle section looks like a nice challenge" and then I heard it was already on the backing track! I was a big May fan back on albums like Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack. I'll have a look at this over the next week or so...sounds sweet. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts