Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I don't know if there are any Steve Stevens fans on this board but here's a question for you: I'd like to know what kind of pedal Steve uses to produce his siren effect and I'm not talking about the laser gun effect where he's obviously using a toy gun, kinda confusing but I'm sure fans will know what I'm talking. I can more or less reproduce this siren sound with a flanger pedal but wanted to know what kind of pedal he's actually using.
Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
331 Posts
berseker said:
Well, I don't know if there are any Steve Stevens fans on this board but here's a question for you: I'd like to know what kind of pedal Steve uses to produce his siren effect and I'm not talking about the laser gun effect where he's obviously using a toy gun, kinda confusing but I'm sure fans will know what I'm talking. I can more or less reproduce this siren sound with a flanger pedal but wanted to know what kind of pedal he's actually using.
Thanx in advance.
For his "laser gun" effect Steve used a Lexicon PCM-41 rackmount (1U) set on short delay with the VCO on inverse square wave and with high regeneration (feedback). If you're at all familiar with the PCM-41 that will make sense to you. :eek:

I'm not sure what you mean by "siren effect" though... :scratch:... and being an ancient 80s relic myself, I'm quite familiar with Billy Idol's repertoire... :jam:

Likely though... the "siren effect" is a combination of the PCM-41 and an ADA floor pedal flanger, which he often used.

Note: Steve also played the Roland GR-700/707 synth/guitar controller on several Billy Idol tunes.

I do miss that funky silver GR-707... :cry:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the reply!
Actually, I think I'm just being confusing with the distinction between laser gun/siren effect, sorry. After all it's more or less the same effect, to my ears sometimes it sounds more like a siren than a laser gun though....well, nevermind. lol.
I knew about the Lexicon but just wanted to be sure. After all, that's a rather easy effect to reproduce with a flanger and a delay, I think that Tommy Bolin was the first to do that back in the 70's with a Maestro Echoplex.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.