Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously better then any Shredder or anyone, try playing a song with 3rds mutes and "clean notes" in solo's at 263BPM, in Blues. His Tone is unbelievable too. Too bad he died in 1990, we wouldve never had Emo or Grunge if he didnt die, he wouldve dominated the Radios... Anyways hats off to SRV, the legend. He is the only guitarist who came close to Jimi Hendrix IMO.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I can appreciate your sentiment. SRV was great. The mistake a lot of people make is trying to make music a competition, such as comparing one guitarists ability versus another. There's so many great musicians who can make great music, each with their own style, that it's almost better to enjoy them all instead of trying to rate them. SRV certainly had his own guitar heroes whom he looked up to and admired.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ksdb said:
I can appreciate your sentiment. SRV was great. The mistake a lot of people make is trying to make music a competition, such as comparing one guitarists ability versus another. There's so many great musicians who can make great music, each with their own style, that it's almost better to enjoy them all instead of trying to rate them. SRV certainly had his own guitar heroes whom he looked up to and admired.
Your 100% Right, but im tired of people making fun of Blues Musicians to Promote Technicals like Steve Vai... Technicality is a Dime a Dozen, soul is 1/1000000.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Not a day goes by that I don't listen to SRV. I don't necessarily think he is better than my son's heroes (Vai, Satriani, etc), but Stevie's music always touched something inside of me, and to me that is the mark of a great musician.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No one really knows that Stevie Ray Vaughan played with Heavy Strings and high touch on a Fender Strat. The way he just plays is intense!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I once played rhythm guitar in a classic rock/blues cover band and we did alot of Stevie Ray stuff and I had to really be on my toes just to keep up the rhythm parts to his songs...and it definitely challenged me and SRV style blues is a tough task for a Old School metal head like myself! My lead guitarist worshipped Stevie but usually had to improvise certain parts of the solos because he just couldn't quite copy Stevie's unique and un-matched muting and blues shredding. I'll always love and admire SRV.

My music room has 7 posters on the wall...Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Velvet Revolver, Eddie Van Halen, Stryper, Y&T, and STEVIE RAY VAUGHN!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Srv

I'm a rythm guitarrist in a Portuguese blues band. SRV it's my inspiration, and the most important thing to me it's that in my DVD's a nd CD's, it's impossible to listen the same version of the same music. It's impressive how he made 2,3,4...completely different versions of the same music with a structure completely different. That´s the most important thing to me and SRV had that kind of feeling to play that music in that moment in that manner, no matter the structure...it's really great, and i believe blues it's nothing but that:Improvisation, feeling
In terms of technique, we can't compare Vai, SRV, Eric Clapton,Aldi Meola...each one own it's style,each one is a really superb musician

Best Regards from Portugal

Rodras :bannana_g

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I just had to jump in on this thread cause , i'd listened to SRV before you know i had the obligatory mp3's in my collection : riviera paradise voodoo chile little wing etc and i absolutely loved them but never got round to buying any albums .. so finally i bought texas flood and it is just awesome !

all the songs just kick ass ! people say he was overated etc obviously have never tried to get that kinda passion and feel and grace to playing guitar .. . he has it all .. definately one of my new favourite players .. peace .

Stig

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have to say that adressing threads like this with the sole purpose of saying SRV is better than Vai is pathetic
You are a goon :shame:
If you dont like Vai because he's talented shut your pie hole.
oh and by the way
whered you get your suit the the toilet factory!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
bbkane said:
I have to say that adressing threads like this with the sole purpose of saying SRV is better than Vai is pathetic
You are a goon :shame:
If you dont like Vai because he's talented shut your pie hole.
oh and by the way
whered you get your suit the the toilet factory!
!

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I'm not saying i don't like vai , i love vai , i'm just saying i love SRV also .. and was really excited recently when i discovered his albums ..

·
Registered
665 Posts
grant said:
I have talked to you before. And I will not say anything because, my mother always told me that, If you dont have nothing good to say dont say it at all.

I dont like Steve Vai because hes not Musical, thats what he lacks. Jack of All Trades, Master of None. But I can agree with you that he himself is a great Musician and can play anything. His Talent is Unquestionable, his Feel/Soul is highly Debatable.

Whenever I hear someone like BB King or for this Case, SRV; I can listen to it because its nothing but playing music, not trying something new on guitar. It comes straight from the heart, no Math Involved.

Sure u say Overrated, or is it because you believe theyre overloved? Its because they had something that Steve Vai doesnt have. So if you have nothing good to say, dont talk!

KYS :devilchil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts