Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of adding a Strat to the arsenal. I was just wondering if any seasoned vets could offer some advice for this novice. I've been watching ebay and doing some research and I've been to the local shops. I am down to a choice between 2. Looking at either an American Deluxe or a Texas Special. Now I like the sound of the Texas special but will this limit my range of tone? Would I be better off sticking with something with the 3 single coils or will something with the humbuckers give me so much range I might not ever pick up the other guitars I own. I just don't want to make a fast decision and then fall short on something. I like what both have to offer.

Also any advise on must haves and must avoid features, build origins, or model years would be helpful. Thanks in advance for the help.

Zep

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
the way i see it is like this bro , you can get humbuckers on any other guitar , but the strat is a renound guitar and the tone it gives with single coils is not bettered anywhere , once you set a strat up right it will sound sweet . But putting humbuckers on it just makes it not a strat anymore and kinda misses the point of a strat in the first place , some people like to do it simply cause they love the look of a strat but want humbucker tone ... but i dunno . a Strat is a blank canvas you can shape the tone however you want . get the American Deluxe and get someone to set it up all nice and i promise you you will be in guitar heaven for the rest of your life lol . Strats take a few weeks of getting used to but omg once you settle in its like you have been playing with bullshit up till that moment :lol: ... good luck either way mate .

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Ledzep77 said:
I was thinking of adding a Strat to the arsenal. I was just wondering if any seasoned vets could offer some advice for this novice. I've been watching ebay and doing some research and I've been to the local shops. I am down to a choice between 2. Looking at either an American Deluxe or a Texas Special. Now I like the sound of the Texas special but will this limit my range of tone? Would I be better off sticking with something with the 3 single coils or will something with the humbuckers give me so much range I might not ever pick up the other guitars I own. I just don't want to make a fast decision and then fall short on something. I like what both have to offer.

Also any advise on must haves and must avoid features, build origins, or model years would be helpful. Thanks in advance for the help.

Zep
I have the Texas specials in mine adn love them. They don't limit your tone, they just add to it, especially if your looking for the chime and honk from positions 2 and 4. It's just my opinion, but keep humbuckers out of a strat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts. Thats exactlly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Clears my mind up a bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have the american deluxe and I can recomend it as a must have, its got the sweet single coil strat sound and the S1 switch gives another dymension to the tone really fattens up the sound. the SC pups are the SCN ones and there is no noise from them at all, and the one I got was set perfect from Fender no additional set up was required, maybe i got lucky but im told they all come from the factory just right.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Ledzep77 said:
Thanks for the thoughts. Thats exactlly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Clears my mind up a bit. Thanks.
Glad to help :icon_peac

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have owned an American Deluxe for more than two years now and I love it! Now, I have modded mine by putting EMGs in it S/S/H. Wonerful guitar - plays and sound slike a deam I would highly recommend it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When considering and American vs an American Deluxe, should a guy for sure step up to the deluxe? I know it comes down to money but do the added features of the deluxe make it a must have?

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
dannyboy said:
the way i see it is like this bro , you can get humbuckers on any other guitar , but the strat is a renound guitar and the tone it gives with single coils is not bettered anywhere , once you set a strat up right it will sound sweet . But putting humbuckers on it just makes it not a strat anymore and kinda misses the point of a strat in the first place , some people like to do it simply cause they love the look of a strat but want humbucker tone ... but i dunno . a Strat is a blank canvas you can shape the tone however you want . get the American Deluxe and get someone to set it up all nice and i promise you you will be in guitar heaven for the rest of your life lol . Strats take a few weeks of getting used to but omg once you settle in its like you have been playing with bullshit up till that moment :lol: ... good luck either way mate .
I agree 100% nice post :) .. the tone on strats in my opinion is much more dependant on your fingers and they just take some getting used to .. but then they are like a dream ! .. i used to hate them .. but now i just HAVE to have one !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts