Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey dudes, I just bought a strat guitar (not-fender though) it's got a gotoh bridge kind of like this http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/bridges.cfm?fuseaction=bridges_wilkinson. Anyway I changed the strings and made the mistake to take off all of them instead of replacing each individual string *doh* Since I don't have any previous experience with these kind of bridges my question is, how should it be set-up? Like how far up from the body and so on.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,842 Posts
Just had to do this for my son, String it up, tune it to pitch, adjust the claw untill the bridge is sitting level. It may take a few retunes, readjust, but it's not that hard.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rythameen said:
Just had to do this for my son, String it up, tune it to pitch, adjust the claw untill the bridge is sitting level. It may take a few retunes, readjust, but it's not that hard.
The claw?? :dunno: What's that and how do I know when the bridge is level? :scif890:

Sorry for being such a noob :bannana_g

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,842 Posts
The TikiBar said:
The claw?? :dunno: What's that and how do I know when the bridge is level? :scif890:

Sorry for being such a noob :bannana_g
The claw is the piece of metal with 5 hooks on it in the tremolo cavity in the back of your guitar. It has two screws that go into the body of the guitar. Once your guitar is tuned to pitch, if the bridge is being pulled toward the neck of the guitar, tighten the screws a little at a time, if the bridge is being pulled toward the body of the guitar, loosen the screws a little at a time. You will know the bridge is level when it is parallel to the body of the guitar as you look down at it in a playing position.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rythameen said:
The claw is the piece of metal with 5 hooks on it in the tremolo cavity in the back of your guitar. It has two screws that go into the body of the guitar. Once your guitar is tuned to pitch, if the bridge is being pulled toward the neck of the guitar, tighten the screws a little at a time, if the bridge is being pulled toward the body of the guitar, loosen the screws a little at a time. You will know the bridge is level when it is parallel to the body of the guitar as you look down at it in a playing position.
Thanks a million man! You saved my day :D

I've got it setup fine now :dance:

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,842 Posts
The TikiBar said:
Btw would adding more springs make the tuning more stabil?
I think it's a personal preference, myself, I have 5 springs, because I am so used to a Les Paul, I constantly leave the heel of my hand on the bridge, my son on the other hand doesn't do that, and prefers 3 springs, however he mounts the springs on mounts 2,3,4 of the claw, and holes 1,3,5 of the tremolo block so they kind of go like an upside down V with the bottom pointing toward the neck, not sure why, but he says it works better for him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.