Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of strings do you guys use and what gauge do you prefer? Fess up now. I ask because I am a curious mofo...

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I should state my preferences. I like Ernie Ball Super Slinkies - .009-.042

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
d'addario .009 - .042, you guys use some heavy strings.. my fingers cant handle the heavy gauges... Rythameen your top strings are insanely heavy :eek:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
MegaTrey said:
d'addario .009 - .042, you guys use some heavy strings.. my fingers cant handle the heavy gauges... Rythameen your top strings are insanely heavy :eek:

It is surprising how quickly you adapt if you keep playing. The thicker strings really add punch to your sound too.

It will be interesting to see if anyone here uses thicker than mine: 12-56.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
MegaTrey said:
I agree, that I could adapt.. but after 10 years of a set of strings... you tend to stick with them. :D
I wouldn't say that...I didn't.

·
Registered
665 Posts
nroberts said:
It is surprising how quickly you adapt if you keep playing. The thicker strings really add punch to your sound too.

why would it be interesting?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wussies!

GHS Boomers: .011-.050. They just sound really good, but they get kinda scuzzy after a few weeks. I'm thinking about trying some DR's.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nroberts said:

I would like to hear some tunes of yours using that string gauge.

·
Registered
235 Posts
D'addaro light Gauge Nickel Wound.
For my acoustic, the best strings I have ever tried, John Pearse Bronze Wound Strings, I recommend to go give it a try

·
Registered
270 Posts
My favorite set of strings I've ever played are the Dean Markley Misfits strings (11-52) I LOVE extra heavy gauge strings! I also really like the Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky (12-54) and the Not Even Slinky (12-56) I usually play in standard or drop D, but with the Beefy or Not Even Slinky, it's really tough on my truss rod & neck to play in tunings that high. I usually stay as close to standard as possible. Does anybody know of any heavier gauge sets? I'd like to try them too!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
DJ Snoo said:
My favorite set of strings I've ever played are the Dean Markley Misfits strings (11-52) I LOVE extra heavy gauge strings! I also really like the Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky (12-54) and the Not Even Slinky (12-56) I usually play in standard or drop D, but with the Beefy or Not Even Slinky, it's really tough on my truss rod & neck to play in tunings that high. I usually stay as close to standard as possible. Does anybody know of any heavier gauge sets? I'd like to try them too!
Almost every string manufacturer makes heavier guage strings but almost nobody carries them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts