Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.013 (smallest) through .058 (biggest), o ma gad my fingers, they hurt so bad but I love the new tone with em! I almost broke my fingers trying to tighten them (the tuner almost stopped moving lol), but it was all worth it in the end. :D I tuned em down all half a step (one fret), because they were soooo hard to bend lol.. OK! now quik question- what size strings do you all use?? *kisses his fingertips* ow ow ow

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use earnie ball slinky .10's but I recently made a switch to the hybrid .09's. They're pretty good, a good mix of both worlds, deep tone with easier bending.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
I used to use 9's until this past severalmonths where I was stringing up 10's and liking it much better ;) The strings you are using are esigned for really low tunings, like D and C shit, that is why they are so tight.

·
Thunder from the East
2,039 Posts
i use fender super bullets 9` or ernie ball slinky 0.9 or sometimes for gigs and concerts 0.8.. depending on my finger strength too cos i need to rip it up lol.. btw i have change new strings every week cos it wear out fast lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
El_jalepeno said:
I used to use 9's until this past severalmonths where I was stringing up 10's and liking it much better ;) The strings you are using are esigned for really low tunings, like D and C shit, that is why they are so tight.
I just read that SRV used same sizes at half to whole step down, how the hell did he get those bends.. (I knew he used thick strings before but now I have comparison

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
I have used .008's for a while, then went to .010's for about a year and a half. I finally settled on .009's....D'addario all the way! or I would rather keep the rusty strings on. Always hated the Ernie Balls.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hand of Cobain said:
I just read that SRV used same sizes at half to whole step down, how the hell did he get those bends.. (I knew he used thick strings before but now I have comparison
Dont think that SRV didnt tear his fingers up playing those strings either :D I heard hed coat his finger tips in superglue.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i use d'addario extra lights .009s, sometimes .010s. using heavy and medium guage strings gives heavier tone, but can cause action problems such as fret buzz and they put a great deal of strain on the neck. you wouldnt believe how much pressure its under with them on it.
oh by the way, if you play 2 hours a day and use a pack of strings a month theres not point in buying a $20 set of strings. a $5 set of d'addarios will do you just as good. :)

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
mab8485 said:
Dont think that SRV didnt tear his fingers up playing those strings either :D I heard hed coat his finger tips in superglue.
Yep, had to glue the fingernails down to the finger becuase they would split off on those frickin' telephone cables!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
El_jalepeno said:
Yep, had to glue the fingernails down to the finger becuase they would split off on those frickin' telephone cables!
Yup he would have to glue is calaces back on too lol, they would rip off, just read that in a Cd cover (lol never actually read those things untill now)... my fingers seem to be adapting to them pretty good though :D but thats considering I can bend only 1/4 to 1/2 a step depending on which string lol, they are thick, but I love the tone

·
Registered
198 Posts
I switch out between 9s and 10s (mainly 10s I use) every once and a while. I have a set of DR Black Beauties on mine now for almost 2 months or so. The tone is all right, but they're not that bright on the first go. I've also used D'Addario's, but they wear out too quickly with my usage. I tried GHS ones before, but those didn't really hit me right. And finally, I've also used Elixirs. Those are nice as hell.

13s though? Who you trying to be? :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Super Sliky 10's mainly. I have used 13's didnt really like them, there not hard to bend at all, i just dont like em because they can really limit your playing especially when your doing tapping and stuff like that cause the action is low and tight. ive used pretty much all sizes, but i like Slinky 10's

·
Registered
180 Posts
I go with the super slinky 9's on my strat and tele's and on my acoustic, light elixirs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
trial and error

I have different strings on all my guitars, I've tried most every kinda I can get my hands on, and I have rounded down the mix to a couple of favorites

Guitar 1: I flip between two types, Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky (12-56) and Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky (11-54) I play those a half step down.

Guitar 2: GHS Fatties (10-47) They are kinda smaller strings than I like, but they play pretty tight so I like them alot. I play those is standard.

Guitar 3: Acoustic Nanoweb Elixers (13-56) I LOVE acoustic elixers! They play fantastic and they sound very very good! My acoustic is in standard.

Guitar 4: Dean Markley "Misfits - SkullBusters" (11-52) I play these in standard tuning. I bought these just to try them, they were a 4 dollars set at Guitar Center and I thought I'd give them a try...they are the best guitar strings I have ever played!!! No joke!!! I figured that they were going to be a stupid set up gimic strings which just happened to be endorsed by a band that I don't care for much at all, but I frickin love these strings! I just bought another guitar this week, and as soon as I get a chance to make a trip to Guitar Center, this new guitar will have them as well. They are cheap as hell and lasted two months before any signs of wear (and I play hard for hours a day!) I usually change my strings every two weeks or so, sometimes upwards of a month, but it has been years since a set has lasted me two months! I recommend that EVERYBODY go out and try a set of these strings!

Now I will list all the strings that I have tried that I didn't like. We'll go in two categories...just didn't care for them, or hated them:

Didn't care for them:
Any Elixer Electric Strings (I liked them at first, but have grown out of that)
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slink & Extra Slinky (WAY too light!!!)
Most Fender Strings (As I remember the heavy super bullets were ok...)
Martin & Co Extra Heavy Acoustic Strings (Extra Heavy and acoustic don't mix)
Any Ernie Ball Acoustic Strings (Stick to electric Ernie Ball...nuff said!)

Hated:
DR Black Beauties (HATED THESE!!! Something about the coating...)
Black Diamond Strings (See above answer...took both sets off the day after)
Gibson Strings (Hated them years ago, haven't tried them again since...)
ALL MUSICIANS FRIEND STRINGS (need I explain?!?!)
A few random sets of D'Addario (can't put my finger on why, just hated 'em)
GHS Boomers & Zakk Wylde Series (so used to fatties, I can't adjust)

This is the list of strings that I still wanna try:
Any of Dean Markley's other strings (Alchemy, Blue Steel, etc...)
Everly Rockers (They put a cute cartoon chic on the front!)
Something DR other than those damn Black Beauties!
Possibly Gibsons Signature Series Les Paul Strings (who knows, vintage might be cool...)
Gretsch Electromatic Strings (I just found out Gretsch made strings...)
Ernie Ball "Power" Strings (I like Ernie Ball...might like these, who knows)
Rogue Strings (Just because I'm sure I'll hate them! haha)
GHS Infinity Steel (They sound cool even though I've hated most coated strings!)
D'Addario Chromes (sounds like a cool idea)
Epiphone and Schector Strings (I doubt I'll like em, but I'll try em)
Electro-Harmonix Strings (Heard the name, but nothing about them...)
Thomastik Infeld Strings (I heard a rumor that they were decent)

Anyhow, this is all I can think of at the moment... Peace out ya'll!

~DJ Snoo~

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
i used .09's for a long time .. and then 10's and then 11's now i'm using 12's and i love it .. i don't really bend that much i tend to slide more .. so they sound good and i don't seem to smash my fingers up too badly .. anything below 10's these days just feels mega weird for me ..

the main thing is if your moving up to 13's or a significantly higher gague of string than your used to . change your guitar setup you can seriously damage your guitar going from say .09's to 13's ... .and your hands too you can seriously damage your nerves etc putting too much pressure on them than they are used to .. i've been told to move up gradually over a few weeks or months rather than switching over straight off .

just my 2 cents :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts