Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that like old school groove you might enjoy this one. The track is called Sugar City, very raw and open, pretty much a one take deal ( a few dubs here and there). I am useing a mid 60s Ampeg clone that I snatched up cheap on ebay. Little did I know there was a Plexi hiding out in this thing. 20 watts of scream with this thing. This is the first track that I have recorded with a High Order pickup (8.3 A2). He winds by hand and has the most open organic pickups I have ever heard, the pickups are cheap as hell too!! . I love it through my old heads.....

Sugar City :afro:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2095852&q=Hi

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2095852&q=Lo

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Right on Kev!!!
Have always loved your stuff bigtime!!
What a fab amp man!!!
Loved that sound!
Too cool playing as usual...hehe man you are so wicked :icon_thum
That pickup sounds great.....who was that again??

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! Much appreciated.

Rid the link for the pickups is www.highorderpickups.com 55.00 for handwound perfection. I have an 8.3 A2 and it blends clarity and drive perfectly. It is like my A2 59, but much more organic and open. I would imagine if had a handwound 59 it wouuld be much the same. There is an art in thr hands for sure, I think you would love the pickups.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I love this! great tune mate :thumb: especially the octave bits around 02:00. Mental leads as well :thumb:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
very cool groove on that tune!

excellent tone, just reading up on those hbs :)
i take it Jeff delivers to uk (with pp)?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I like the funky 'tude about this one and the guitar sound is wonderful. What kind of amp was that?? Do they still make them?

Also, you have a really flow to your soloing; impressive indeed!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

For the pickup shoot Jeff a note, I would imgaine if postage is paid he could get it anywhere., but I don't want to speak on behalf of the maker. To make a pickup that sounds this good for the price being offered does not come around too often. He has a great ear and pleasing his customers seems to be very important to him.

The amp is long gone, it is called a Basso Grande, I own two that I found digging through the internet trash heaps. I haven't done a thing to the one I recorded this track with, original tubes, everything. The other needed a couple tubes and the OT replaced. Well worth it though. I believe the company was absorbed into Ampeg way back in the day. Very little info about them.

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Man that is unexpensive for that kind of a sound :icon_thum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts