Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one I found floating around the net and I dedicate it to radiolux for it's hard work in presenting us with some fine music. Thanks!

This particular concert was very strange and it seemed more like a ritual than a conventinal gig. First of all, for those of you who don't know the place where it happened, it is a church (now monument) built in 1389, without ceiling but that survived the earthquake in 1755, hence the name Carmo Ruins, it's a very special place and I think it influenced the band (I've added a photo of it for you). Second, some members of the audience started annoying Alan Vega demanding that they played songs from the first album, you can hear them scream for Frankie Teardrop and Ghostrider, of course the result was the opposite, in his confrontational self, Alan started to answer them "Frankie's Dead", "Stop playing the punk" and when actually they played Ghostrider, he quickly changed the lyrics to Blue Suede Shoes, Ah, Ah, Ah! There goes the neighbourhood... Also, there were some technical and electrical problems, that made the concert stop two times, and that made the audience even more nervous, so the concert ended with a improvisation/catharsis of 10 minutes plus, during wich Alan jumped the stage and sang among/with the audience. You can hear it all in the recording, so enjoy!

The sound is excellent, specially if you think that it's a tape with 21 years, recorded with a walkman. Unfortunatly I'm not a sufficient expert to complete the setlist, I named the songs I recognised, if someone knows the ones missing, please leave a message and I'll update the post.

Taper: BTT

1. Intro
2. ???
3. Johnny
4. Cheree
5. ???
6. (electrical problems)
7. Jukebox Baby 96 / Be Bop A Hula
8. ??? (Cut due to changing side of the tape)
9. (technical problems, equipment jammed?)
10. Ghost Rider / Blue Suede Shoes
11. Dream Baby Dream
12. Encore (Medley Improvisation)

http://rapidshare.com/files/274258907/S_-_Ruinas_do_Carmo__Lisboa_1988.rar

:beerbang:

·
Registered
403 Posts
This one I found floating around the net and I dedicate it to radiolux for it's hard work in presenting us with some fine music. Thanks! :beerbang:
Well, thanks cr666, very nice, very much appreciated ! :beerbang:

I think I remember that show... I was in Lisbon for holidays with my girl friend in August 88, and we heard about it. Sadly, we had to come back home one week before, so we missed that one.

Here is the track list, as far as I can find it. Suicide has always been improvising a lot.
The folder opens up in 2 files. No Carmo Ruins photo around, cr666 ! -)

part 1 :
- intro
- improvisation (Everybody's Lying ?)
- Johnny
- Cheree
- Night Time Is The Right Time
- Technical problems 1
- Jukebox Baby 96 / Be Bop A Lula
- Day By Day (cut)

part 2 :
- Day By Day (continued)
- Technical problems 2
- Ghost Rider Blue Suede Shoes
- Dream Baby Dream
- Born In The USA medley

This Born In The USA medley was a kind of weird improvisation they used to do in the late 80's, covering almost the entire rock history ! From Elvis, to Iggy Pop, via Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, Question Mark, Hot Chocolate, Bruce Springsteen and so on, including Suicide (I Remember) and Alan Vega himself (Wipeout Beat).

Great show. Excellent sound quality for a walkman recording !

BTW, I've found some more Suicide tapes in my attic, so watch out for new shows coming soon. Cheers !

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right, no photo in the RAR file, so here it is. Thanks for the setlist radiolux!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts