Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My teacher says he wants to be more of a coach but I need direction, someone to push me, write out a plan and keep me focused, I have failed at playing before because I'm not good at teaching myself.

Should I be looking elsewhere if this is not my teachers style? Am I wrong in wanting a teacher to direct me and be responsible for that direction? One that will test me on what he has me learn and not just give me scales to work on? The teacher I have now has taught me and explained some things better to the point I finally understand them but....I'm getting frustrated again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is my teacher: http://www.stetina.com/I purchased the Metal Guitar Starter Pack. I like it because he walks you through exercices that you'll need to get you a certain level, then you test yourself jamming with him (a cd track of course) on a song. Then you move on to the next execices, next song, and so on.
Then, wen i get frustrated of the lessons, i'll work on a song i want to learn and i come to this forum for inspiration and listen to all the great recordings by all these awesome mo fo's. Then i go back to the books, exercices, and jamming sessions.
He recommends you working on both lead and rythm guitar books at the same time not to get bored. it works for me!
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lessons

Thats pretty cool!!! I'll look into that. Thanks.

I am thinking about taking correspondence lessons with Tom Hess. Anyone ever done that?

He wrote me this long email explaining how he does things and it sounds like my cup of tea since I do not have much time durin the regular week to practice and his lessons usually take 2-3 weeks to digest.

There are soo many lessons and things online that I cant even think about working on everything I have read.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom Hess

http://www.cyberfret.com/misc-wisdom/choosing-a-teacher/index.php

This is the article on Cyberfret about choosing a guitar teacher. I wrote him yesterday and he responded with a fairly comprehensive answer that Yes, that is his style of teaching. He said that his lessons are around $50 but they take 3 weeks to digest for some people.

He lays out a lesson plan and asks a bunch of questions about your experience, goals and expectations and tailors to your needs.

I think I'm going to do it, it will be cheaper than actual lessons and you can ask questions through the week if you see something you dont understand.

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts