Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Added a few more vocal parts (cut and pasted them) and an acoustic solo!

This is Tex and here is another acoustic soft number with a dark mood. I made up the Acoustic in one take just to see how the mixer would record an acoustic. The vocals are only for 20 seconds so it is a quick listen. Then the acoustic part is just going on by itself.

I then later just made up a few vocals on a sheet of paper and recorded over the acoustic.

I just used an acoustic and a mic with no FX. i wish I had some though. I am using GuitarTracks Pro_OK I still ahve the bad soundcard as some of you know, but did just buy a $79 Beringer Mixer (1202) to help with the mic preamps. The vocals are a bit distorted, maybe I had the pre amp up too high?

I used a cheap 10 year old Audiotechnica MT-90 plugged into the Behringer mixer and then have that going out the (2) Main 1/4" Outs and then down to a 1/8" conveter that is plugged into my SoundBlaster 16 Bit Soundcard.

The Mixer helps, but the vocals still don't sound that good. I also need t0 figure out how to MASTER the final out put so it sounds compressed and tight?

Just a quick idea, but some parts sound pretty cool. :D

Take care

Tex...............:jam:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
sounds pretty cool here mate. Nice layered vox and good acoustic sounds. :thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very nice job ...great acoustics guitar playing and voice over.......:icon_thum

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I listened to it agian,,,LATER,,,it is ok, but always sounds different when you step away from it. It sounds like a a big whimp, "in your heart where it's safe and warm",,,,LOL it worked at one point and at least got me married to a beautifuk girl, now I better just stay married or I will be screwed:smirk:

Again, this was not a song I sat down and wrote, just played the acoustic to see how it recorded and then added an few vocals and then got carried away with singing 7 tracks.

I also don't know how ot harmonize (per say) and I am not a vocalist either.
I just record the vocals and then use my ear and try to sing over it until it sounds cool together. I do the same thing when I harmonize my guitar parts (like at the beggining on the clean acoustic). Oh well, this still was fun and occupied an hour of my day while the wife cleaned the house:icon_peac

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Sounds good TAS....you can always add a bit of effects with your software after you record....just a tad of delay and verb would be good.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
nice acoustic picking..
i love the harmony vocals...
very interesting!
sounds great!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice start.:thumbup: :thumbup: I would suggest adding a second mic on your acoustic to fill out the sound. I pointed a Shure SM57 at the 15th fret and a AT 3035 compressor mic in front of the 5th fret. it gave me a pretty balanced warm sound. I like your build up of vocals as well. Try putting a stumming acoustic under it with the picked part. I would fill it out and support the vox even more. Please check out my recording in this originals section. Its under Sweeps and called now that your gone.

Thanks
Bill "Sweeps"

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the nice comments and constructive suggestions. OK, I have a crap mic. It's an audiotechnica 10 year old mic.

I was going to buy a shure SM58, but I was told that is more for Live Vocals. I think it is wise to pick up a Shure SM57 to record my acosutic and mic my AMP when I record the rocking stuff.

If you listen to my stuff here, like the Dokken version of In my dreams (Look in my Radio in the icon and you can open that song I think) I just used an RP7 direct and it was OK. I bet going 1st throught the Behringer Mixer would clean it up. The few times I miced the amp up (flextone III XL) it sounded pretty Wooofy. Maybe cause I need a better mic liek the SM57.

Ok so I need an SM57 for Instruments (Acoustics and amps)

What is a good $200 or less VOCAL Mic that sounds good for singing and will it really make me sound that much better ?

Van Halen, Ii know to add FX after the fact, but the Guitar Tracks pro FX to me sound pretty aweful!

Thanks

Tex

·
Registered
165 Posts
For $200 you can get the AT 3035 I have or a Rode mic which my buddy has and it is great. There is also the Russia Oktavia (?) which are also very good. I went to Musicians Friend and they have some good deals going. Any of these mics will be a huge improvement to the mic you have. For 200 you could get 2 mics easily. MXL's are another good one Ive used.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/273156/ The MXL 990 has a silky sweet high-end while retaining tight, solid low and midrange reproduction. The 20mm gold-sputtered diaphragm creates a...

Our Price: $59.99
List Price: $199.99
Rating:
Qualifies for FREE SHIPPING! MXL V63M Condenser Studio Microphone with Shockmounthttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/273158/ Our exclusive! Its 1" diameter, 6 micron thick diaphragm delivers high sensitivity and detailed recordings. Wired with Mogami wire for added clarity....

Our Price: $99.99
List Price: $399.99
Rating:

Qualifies for FREE SHIPPING! MXL 993 Condenser Mics Stereo Pairhttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/273171/ The MXL 993 is the latest in quality instrument microphones. Using transformerless FET circuitry and gold diaphragm capsule design, The 993 delivers...

Our Price: $169.99
List Price: $299.99
Rating:

Qualifies for FREE SHIPPING! MXL 990/993 Studio Packagehttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/273168/ The 990 is a true, phantom powered, condenser mic with a 6 micron, 20mm gold-sputtered diaphragm. It has an FET preamp with balanced output for a...

Our Price: $129.99
List Price: $399.99
Rating:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts