Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys, I want to take the opportunity to thank you for introducing me to Dream Theater. In particular, Metropolis Pt2: Scenes from a memory

I just bought a new car today, with a CD player in it

Anyway, I've been playing this CD over and over. I can't get enough of it. It has taken me fookin' ages to get into it, cuz there's so much going on there ! However, with the new ears, I can figure out so much.

Like, <font color="orange">There's a fookin' metronome at the start !!!</font>

But seriously, I L - O - V - E this album. So thank you to you all. I can't remember everyone who kept blabbing on about them, but I know wahwah and CC kept pushing them hard !!!

But to everyone

I really am glad I took the chance on them. I had heard so many bad things about them, so I didn't bother giving them a listen...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
You know I've only heard 1 song by Dream Theater myself......I was just never exposed to them early on. If I heard more of their stuff I might like them too. One song I heard, I can't remember the name, didn't appeal to me at all but even my favorite bands have songs I don't care for.

Can anyone suggest a few songs that I might like?? Everyone should know what my musical tastes are by now.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I can't remember who, but I just got bad vibes. That it was all 7-string Ibanez useless stuff, if I remember !!!
I think it was a total Maiden freak who told me, but like I say, I can't remember...

Plus, I knew another guy who was T - o - t - a - l - l - y into them. He was such a freak, that it sort of scared me that that's how I'd become !!!

As for somgs to recommend, I dunno. The music's very diverse, technically precise, fast, and God, if I were a little more eloquent, I'd be able to describe what they are like a little more inspiringly !!!!

However, I just kept giving Metropolis Pt2: Scenes from a memory good listens, and finally I've been able to actually listen to the stuff. I don't think I'd recommend this album as a starter for them though, because you really need to take the album as a complete piece of art, rather than dissecting it track by track, to be honest...

That's why it took me so long. I'd play it at work, when I wasn't concentrating on it, or I'd have the headphones on whilst I was upgrading the P.C. at home, so kept interrupting it whilst I'd reboot.

But recently I've been giving it extended listens, and bugger me, I am just blown away by it !!!

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Hey Riff, start with Images and Words and I think you'll be suitably impressed. In my opinion, that is by FAR the best CD they've done thus far.

·
Registered
665 Posts
everyone hates it but
falling to infinity is awesome
"peruvian skies" and "burning my soul" are soooooooo sweet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts