Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've had mine for a while now... and I always hear about top players talking about it having a lot of tone and what not.. but really whenever I plug into mine it sounds too trebly and not enough bottom end. I changed the tubes to some mesa boogie el34's and really just a slight change. I noticed there were preamp tubes as well. They are the same ones that have been in there when I bought the amp. Could this be my problem?

·
Registered
240 Posts
first amp i tried my neck thru RG on was a 5150... it sounded terrible... if it hadn't been just the amp i wouldn't have picked up that guitar lol, but i plugged it into another amp(can't remember what it was) and it sounded alright... i'll never touch a 5150 again

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have had a 5150 in the past...and they can sound awesome. Most of the tone comes from the preamp tubes...change them to JJ's. You are going to need some effects also....delays, reverbs, etc.

I did sell it and get a Vetta...and have never looked back.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I've found mine only really sounds good when it's freeken cranked up big time and let the post volume do the distortion not the pre volume .... it took me a long time though to really figure out how to make it sound ok ... just need alot of fiddlin !

·
Registered
240 Posts
i said screw tube amps, got a vamp pro rack setup running thru a fender m300 300w monitoring power amp(135w at 8 ohm) running direct into my peavey 412ms, with the behringer floorboard

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
dreadzeppelin85 said:
I've had mine for a while now... and I always hear about top players talking about it having a lot of tone and what not.. but really whenever I plug into mine it sounds too trebly and not enough bottom end. I changed the tubes to some mesa boogie el34's and really just a slight change. I noticed there were preamp tubes as well. They are the same ones that have been in there when I bought the amp. Could this be my problem?
hey there...most of the reviews here...http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Peavey/5150-01.html mention the "too trebily" complaint often...maybe that issue was taken care of with the 5150II...i'm not sure... :D

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Got a 5150II myself. The mofo is trebly. lol

I'm runnin the Vamp pro thru the loop though, so it's essentially being used as just a power amp, with the tubes coloring my tone. Sounds alright, but part of me wishes I could seek the tone I'm after with the 5150 alone.

If I had the money I'd spring for a Vetta cause those things are AWESOME.

·
Registered
240 Posts
SuckaIn3Piece said:
Got a 5150II myself. The mofo is trebly. lol

I'm runnin the Vamp pro thru the loop though, so it's essentially being used as just a power amp, with the tubes coloring my tone. Sounds alright, but part of me wishes I could seek the tone I'm after with the 5150 alone.

If I had the money I'd spring for a Vetta cause those things are AWESOME.
try running that vamp pro thru a real power amp, whether it be tube based or solid state... u'd probly really like it...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Elysian said:
try running that vamp pro thru a real power amp, whether it be tube based or solid state... u'd probly really like it...
I was thinkin of doin that actually. Don't wanna get rid of my 5150 II though. You know of any good, yet inexpensive power amps I could take a look at?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Well you can just plug your guitar into the V-amp, then come out of it and into your 5150's return and you are isolating the power section of that amp....it will sound awesome....but not stereo. You might like it better than the normal 5150.

Or if you want a Vetta HD, they go for about $700 on E-bay and you can sell your Peavey head for almost that much. It's almost an even swap. I have a few really cool software mods for the Vetta that really make it shine.

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Sorry to ask..but how many has used this amp with a band?
And with good speakers?
I have borrowed an old 5150 head from time to time, used it with great results.
Never dialed in much gain and got the master up instead, used it with a 4x12 greenback equipped cab.
I got a sound close to VHoholic's clips when he uses his 5150 combo.
With both a strat and a Kramer it sounded very fat and open.
Don't blame the equipment if you have not explored it enough.
You have to spent time with it, to see if it will fit your style.
Used mine with stock tubes and no mods.
I hope to get one someday, both a head and the combo :D

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
Rid said:
Sorry to ask..but how many has used this amp with a band?
And with good speakers?
I have borrowed an old 5150 head from time to time, used it with great results.
Never dialed in much gain and got the master up instead, used it with a 4x12 greenback equipped cab.
I got a sound close to VHoholic's clips when he uses his 5150 combo.
With both a strat and a Kramer it sounded very fat and open.
Don't blame the equipment if you have not explored it enough.
You have to spent time with it, to see if it will fit your style.
Used mine with stock tubes and no mods.
I hope to get one someday, both a head and the combo :D
I have to agree with that , when i've used it with a band .. nice and cranked up for gigs it has sounded fantastic to my ears ... the only complaint i have really with it is that theres no built in reverb ! .. i don't use much reverb so i can't really bring myself to buy a whole pedal for it .. but still i like to have a little so it's not so ... dead afterwards.

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Heh yeah I kinda like dry heads, always use outboard gear.
Used my old 19" Peavey reverb/delay in the loop and nothing else, very simple and straightforward setup.
:D

·
Registered
500 Posts
The Only thing I don't like about my 5150 is the muddiness on the Rhythm channel, which I use as a Clean channel. It is being modded at the local repair shop with the bias mod to get rid of that nastiness and give it a warmer, more open sound. If you don't like the 5150 you have, sell it to me!!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
All you have to do to get rid of that hiss is get a noise gate. Duh. WHO CARES if that's all you have to do to get an amazing sound for just 100 bucks extra? Y'all are starting to anger me with the 5150 hatin'..... :rant:

·
Registered
425 Posts
My 5150 combo really doesn't sound that good by itself. What I do is run my POD 2.0 through the effects return and it sounds really good. Next time I'm gonna spring for the Vett II!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mebbe you aren't using it right or it is just not the amp for you. Sell it to me because it is SO the amp for me. I will soon have a wall of 5150 heads and Marshall cabs. Neighbors, pets and Cops be damned. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
hey Dread... I don't know if this will help you or not but... I have a 5150 combo and i found it to be a little trebley and in your face too much, until I took the back off of it...I use it with my GNX4 and I get great tone from it now and my band mates don't fear me when it (the amp) is facing them now lol

SSS

1 - 20 of 30 Posts