Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

The 5150... An amp for gods? or a piece of shit ripoff?

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Rid 
G
#1 ·
I've had mine for a while now... and I always hear about top players talking about it having a lot of tone and what not.. but really whenever I plug into mine it sounds too trebly and not enough bottom end. I changed the tubes to some mesa boogie el34's and really just a slight change. I noticed there were preamp tubes as well. They are the same ones that have been in there when I bought the amp. Could this be my problem?

#3 ·
first amp i tried my neck thru RG on was a 5150... it sounded terrible... if it hadn't been just the amp i wouldn't have picked up that guitar lol, but i plugged it into another amp(can't remember what it was) and it sounded alright... i'll never touch a 5150 again

#4 ·
I have had a 5150 in the past...and they can sound awesome. Most of the tone comes from the preamp tubes...change them to JJ's. You are going to need some effects also....delays, reverbs, etc.

I did sell it and get a Vetta...and have never looked back.

#7 ·
dreadzeppelin85 said:
I've had mine for a while now... and I always hear about top players talking about it having a lot of tone and what not.. but really whenever I plug into mine it sounds too trebly and not enough bottom end. I changed the tubes to some mesa boogie el34's and really just a slight change. I noticed there were preamp tubes as well. They are the same ones that have been in there when I bought the amp. Could this be my problem?
hey there...most of the reviews here...http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Peavey/5150-01.html mention the "too trebily" complaint often...maybe that issue was taken care of with the 5150II...i'm not sure... :D

#8 ·
Got a 5150II myself. The mofo is trebly. lol

I'm runnin the Vamp pro thru the loop though, so it's essentially being used as just a power amp, with the tubes coloring my tone. Sounds alright, but part of me wishes I could seek the tone I'm after with the 5150 alone.

If I had the money I'd spring for a Vetta cause those things are AWESOME.

#9 ·
SuckaIn3Piece said:
Got a 5150II myself. The mofo is trebly. lol

I'm runnin the Vamp pro thru the loop though, so it's essentially being used as just a power amp, with the tubes coloring my tone. Sounds alright, but part of me wishes I could seek the tone I'm after with the 5150 alone.

If I had the money I'd spring for a Vetta cause those things are AWESOME.
try running that vamp pro thru a real power amp, whether it be tube based or solid state... u'd probly really like it...

#10 ·
Elysian said:
try running that vamp pro thru a real power amp, whether it be tube based or solid state... u'd probly really like it...
I was thinkin of doin that actually. Don't wanna get rid of my 5150 II though. You know of any good, yet inexpensive power amps I could take a look at?

#11 ·
Well you can just plug your guitar into the V-amp, then come out of it and into your 5150's return and you are isolating the power section of that amp....it will sound awesome....but not stereo. You might like it better than the normal 5150.

Or if you want a Vetta HD, they go for about $700 on E-bay and you can sell your Peavey head for almost that much. It's almost an even swap. I have a few really cool software mods for the Vetta that really make it shine.

#12 ·
Sorry to ask..but how many has used this amp with a band?
And with good speakers?
I have borrowed an old 5150 head from time to time, used it with great results.
Never dialed in much gain and got the master up instead, used it with a 4x12 greenback equipped cab.
I got a sound close to VHoholic's clips when he uses his 5150 combo.
With both a strat and a Kramer it sounded very fat and open.
Don't blame the equipment if you have not explored it enough.
You have to spent time with it, to see if it will fit your style.
Used mine with stock tubes and no mods.
I hope to get one someday, both a head and the combo :D

#13 ·
Rid said:
Sorry to ask..but how many has used this amp with a band?
And with good speakers?
I have borrowed an old 5150 head from time to time, used it with great results.
Never dialed in much gain and got the master up instead, used it with a 4x12 greenback equipped cab.
I got a sound close to VHoholic's clips when he uses his 5150 combo.
With both a strat and a Kramer it sounded very fat and open.
Don't blame the equipment if you have not explored it enough.
You have to spent time with it, to see if it will fit your style.
Used mine with stock tubes and no mods.
I hope to get one someday, both a head and the combo :D
I have to agree with that , when i've used it with a band .. nice and cranked up for gigs it has sounded fantastic to my ears ... the only complaint i have really with it is that theres no built in reverb ! .. i don't use much reverb so i can't really bring myself to buy a whole pedal for it .. but still i like to have a little so it's not so ... dead afterwards.

#15 ·
The Only thing I don't like about my 5150 is the muddiness on the Rhythm channel, which I use as a Clean channel. It is being modded at the local repair shop with the bias mod to get rid of that nastiness and give it a warmer, more open sound. If you don't like the 5150 you have, sell it to me!!!

#17 ·
All you have to do to get rid of that hiss is get a noise gate. Duh. WHO CARES if that's all you have to do to get an amazing sound for just 100 bucks extra? Y'all are starting to anger me with the 5150 hatin'..... :rant:

#18 ·
My 5150 combo really doesn't sound that good by itself. What I do is run my POD 2.0 through the effects return and it sounds really good. Next time I'm gonna spring for the Vett II!

#19 ·
Mebbe you aren't using it right or it is just not the amp for you. Sell it to me because it is SO the amp for me. I will soon have a wall of 5150 heads and Marshall cabs. Neighbors, pets and Cops be damned. :D

#20 ·
hey Dread... I don't know if this will help you or not but... I have a 5150 combo and i found it to be a little trebley and in your face too much, until I took the back off of it...I use it with my GNX4 and I get great tone from it now and my band mates don't fear me when it (the amp) is facing them now lol

SSS

G
#21 ·
I've been thinkin about selling it, I'm not sure though, I'd like to find a decent Marshall to replace it. But honestly I have a marshall 50 watt combo that I think sounds way better than the 5150 I have. Plus it's got that onboard reverb which is really nice... Would anyone want to make any offers???

#22 ·
Just from my experience...the old EVH Block logo 5150's are the ones to get. I've played both and the signature head sounds nothing like the block logo ones. I run my block logo head through a HotPlate, and it *really* starts sounding good with the post around 5...that seems to be where the transformer kicks in.

Now...I did recently send it out to put in a Mercury Magnetics transformer and choke on it with the bias mod, and it should be back on Saturday. (I'm hoping, and praying, and wishing.) From what I gather...I've created a monster.

#23 ·
Good Job, Sgill72. The one I have is a Block Logo EVH 5150 Head, and that thing is awesome for any and all situations, except living peacably with your neighbors, of course. Like I said before, my 5150 is currently getting the bias mod at the local repair shop. Its a local small business( Carlton's Music Center ), and my mom landscaped the owner's house. He's a good guy. Fuck Guitar Center. Those dicks wouldn't know what the hell a bias mod is anyways.... :wutblau:

They (GC) shouldn't even consider hiring people who don't know anything about guitars. They should hire people who actually play the fookin' guitar. :wutblau: :rant:

#24 ·
metalnick said:
All you have to do to get rid of that hiss is get a noise gate. Duh. WHO CARES if that's all you have to do to get an amazing sound for just 100 bucks extra? Y'all are starting to anger me with the 5150 hatin'..... :rant:
I didnt mean any disrespect to the 5150.:bowdown: Its just when I bought it I was in that bad G.A.S mode and the hiss killed it for me. I honestly didnt think about a noise gate. The hiss was there with the volume turned off so I figured it was some bad design. I bought a DSL50 after that. I wouldnt mind have a 5150 again though.

#25 ·
It's all good sweeps. I'll admit that the hiss almost killed me getting it, but nothing else in the store sounded as good. I did look at the AVT50, but it didn't have enough gain for me. I got my 5150 back from the shop Friday, and it was awesome before, but now: (Keanu's Trademark) :icon_eek: WHOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAHHHH!!!!!

If anyone would like some help with the 5150/6505, please don't hesitate to ask me about it, I'll help if I can. And NO, I don't work for Peavey... :icon_thum

#26 ·
What Settings Do You Guys Like To Use On Your 5150/5150ii Heads To Get The Brown Sound From Back In The Day? I Have Some Cool Settings Dialed In. Ill Post Them Later. As Far As My 5150ii Head I Love It. Its All I Could Ask For Tone Wise. I Dont Have A Rack System, And The Only Pedal I Use Is The Evh Phase 90, And I Get A Great Tone Out Of It. You Just Have To Play It Semi-loud And Dial In The Right Settings. It Works For Me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.