Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I thought I would post some punk rock for all you fans out there. This one was performed by the Bags at New Year's Eve of 1978 @ the Masque. I have had this tape for months, however the sound quality, though it is pretty listenable, it was rather awful!!! The tape suffered from serious distortion, awkward mixing and the playback was WAY TOO FAST. After listening to this print, I decided to have my first go at remastering a terrible bootleg using Audacity. I have to say for a first, I did pretty decent and was really careful to not make the quality WORSE, though some parts needed serious work. I corrected the speed, improved quality on the drums and bass although they still sound kind of muffled... however the lead instruments + vocals are still noisy in the mix and rough to listen to, but they're slightly more listenable. Overall, I give my remastered print a C. Anyways, out of all the Bags shows I have (including All Bagged Up 1977-1980), this is the only full show from them that I have and it sounded like one of the most exciting performances ever. I wish i was in that one!!! You get fast tempos (no I am not referring to the wrong tapespeed on the original), raw performances and it sounded like a great way to spend New Years Eve back then. So here it is, remastered by me for the first time:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S9DDR4EF

ENJOY

·
Registered
483 Posts
A bit of constructive criiticism.

When transferring the tape you had the levels set too loud and it suffers from massive clipping. That's those crackly sounds you hear, caused by all the flattened peaks in the waveform.

This is track 2...

It's impossible to repair. Even if reduce the volume of the wave later the peaks are still flattened.

A normal unclipped wave would look like this...

What I do when transferring audio is record a few seconds of a loud part, then have a look at the wave and adjust the volume if it's too loud, then record another 10 seconds, and repeat until it looks good, then transfer the whole thing.

It's better to have a little blank space above & below your wave than to have it too loud and clipped, as you can always normalise it later but clipped waves are ruined forever.

Also to remember when remastering is that sometimes when applying EQ the resulting EQ'd wave sometimes ends up louder and clipped. That's something to watch out for and if it happens do a ctrl-z (undo) and reduce the volume of your wave first, then EQ again so the resulting wave isn't clipped.

Hopefully you don't take this advice the wrong way. It's just that this is the third time this week I've downloaded some clipped audio. It's a huge shame. People taped these shows sometimes decades ago, looked after the tapes, traded them, then now we're in a time of higher technology and they're able to be transferred digitally but fail at the final hurdle.

So don't take it personally, there's probably tons of things on this site, and indeed on the net as a whole that are in a similar situation. Indeed there are many official releases that are like this. It's a pox on the music industry where producers think loud is better when there's a little thing called a volume button and we can choose for ourself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know what flywheel? I think you are right, next time when adding layers of remastering....i should set the peak amplification WAY lower like around -15 dB or so to not get the crappy crackling. But then again, it is my first time so its obvious that I suck at it. So I have learned this:
*make sure to have no clipping at all times when mastering
*careful with EQ

...as far as I know. So I will try again some other time and re-post it when finished.

Do you want me to post the original print of it in this thread?

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can get away with clipping if it's something like clapping, or drumbeats, in recordings where someone clapping near the mic or a drumbeat is way louder than everything else, although I try and avoid even that.

Do you want me to post the original print of it in this thread?
If you like, or have another go at remastering. After all, practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Never thought I'd see the BAGS on here !!! Only got to see them once in 79' opening for Iggy, the power went out on them and I got to have a nice talk with Pat Bag + she shared her beer with me =) pretty cool for a 13 yo kid !!! Thanks man...

·
Registered
483 Posts
This original print is off Noise Addiction's and it has the same awful sped up quality as mine: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VVAKZDV6
Thanks. That's better without the clipping. Although even this one has a little bit of clipping in some of the loudest parts. To do a proper remaster you need a flac version. I'm not saying you can't get results from an mp3, but you'll always get better results if you're working on a lossless version.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for even more constructive criticism and extra live show, Flywheel and I am glad you liked the show Revolutionarybum!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never thought I'd see the BAGS on here !!! Only got to see them once in 79' opening for Iggy, the power went out on them and I got to have a nice talk with Pat Bag + she shared her beer with me =) pretty cool for a 13 yo kid !!! Thanks man...
Did you record the show too? If you did, can you please share? If not, it's ok, either way, I'm glad you liked the Bags! =D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts