Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I would have to say David Lee Roth on the Little Ain't Enough Tour would have to be one of them. Went to see him at Birmingham Arena. We were about 20 rows back. There was something behind us that we quickly dismissed as the mixing desk.

Anyway, the concert was great. Then, halfway through Yankee Rose, Dave runs off the stage. The song keeps playing and he should be singing, but he isn't. Then he pops up behind us on the "mixing desk" that we had dismissed earlier. He's now only 3 rows in front of us. Doing all his swirls. There were devils attached to speakers like the ones on the Little Ain't Enough cover. They pissed water all over us.

I think he sang Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love from here, and a couple of other songs. It was wild.

Then he got on a huge inflatable microphone and rode it back to the stage to California Girls...

Another one was the first time we went to see Van Halen again at the Birmingham NEC. We'd hired a Ford Mondeo, and made the trip down there. The M6 was chocka. Full of Van Halen fans all blaring out Van Halen music, leaning out windows, passing beers, and chanting "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie !" For the UK, this was completely surreal. By the time we arrived at the concert we were late, pissed, but extremely pumped and ready for it.

I'd managed to smuggle a camera in and we walked in just at the end of Little Angels set. I was a little gutted, because I like Little Angels, but it was great timing because before long I was listening to the drill of Poundcake, and could not believe that I was at a Van Halen concert IN THE UK !!!!

This sort of thing only happens in The States, and where the f**k did all these Van Halen fans emerge from ?

My brother and all his mates met Toni Iommi there as well, but I was far too into screaming at Eddie to be bothered with anyone else !!!

Another was when we went to see Richie Sambora at the Manchester Apollo. There is a pub attached to the venue and I was in there having a bevvie with my brother. Everyone rushed outside and my brother said, "Come on, Uncle Richie's just arrived ! " I didn't believe it, but I went outside all the same. A huge tour bus turned up, and I was second to the front expecting some roadies to get out. Anyway, out steps Uncle Richie himself, and he turns and looks at me and asks me how I am doing...

I just froze. I was not prepared for meeting one of my heros. Then he smirked and said, "Have you got anything you want me to sign dude ? " Still I said nothing and just stood there, awestruck, and eventually, I noticed I was spilling beer on my shoes after I was brought to life by a punch in the back by my brother.

I could not believe that I had reacted like that to him, like some bloody 12 year old pop fan ! My brother has never let me forget this at all, especially since he was striving to get in front of me to talk to him on my behalf, but couldn't get noticed because he is such a short-ass !!!

Another memorable concert would have to be Ugly Kid Joe at Nottingham Rock City. This is plainly because of the stage diving. There was this huge lady who got on stage. She leapt forward into the crowd and everyone quickly thought, "F**k that ! I'm not catching her, she'll break my back !" SO anyway, she jumps forward, and everyone just moves out of the way, and she just hit the floor with a smack. Everone keeps on rocking, and the band keeps on playing, whilst taking the piss, and she's just lying on the floor, out for the count. Then, a little while later, she gets up and starts whooping things like, "Rock and Roll!"

But, amazingly, she gets on stage to do it again !!! And yet again, the same thing happens. She jumps, and everyone moves and she hits the floor. She didn't knock herself out the second time though, and just picked herself up and pissed off.

I met Marillion that night as well, but they were not impressed with my Van Halen t-shirt for some reason

Finally, again at Nottingham Rock City, I went to see Mr. Big. We were left of stage, directly in front of Billy Sheehan. He was amazing that night, and after the show he reached forward and shook my hand and asked if he had played alright. I was gobsmacked but managed to reply with something like, "F**k me, you were brilliant !"

Well, there's my favourite concert moments. You decide which you like best !!!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
1. Black Sabbath/Van Halen, Newcastle City Hall, 1978
2. Rush, Newcastle City Hall, 1978 (Farewell To Kings)
3. Thin Lizzy, NCH, 1977 (Live and Dangerous)
4. AC/DC, VH, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, Y & T, Gary Moore, Accept, Donington 1984
5. Mr Big, London Forum, 1992
6. Dream Theater, London Shepherds Bush Empire, 2000 Scenes From A Memory, Metropolis 2
Mr Big, London Forum 1991

·
Registered
754 Posts
mine would have to be "the arms concert" in dallas texas in 1983.it was a concert for ronnie lane.I had 8th row for it.it was jeff beck, eric clapton, jimmy page,and guests like phil collins,robert plant,paul rodgers and many other top notch performers.a close 2nd would be the who at the pontiac silverdome with the clash and eddie money.I will never forget this show.the doors opened at 10 am and eddie money was to come on at 7:30 pm.by noon the place was packed at 1:15 they played van halens dancin in the streets and the place went totally crazy!!! I mean fuckin nuts! an vh was not on the bill just thru the p.a. it was incredible! that when I new how HUGE van halen was.

·
Registered
33 Posts
in my short concert career (im 13) the best show ive seen would be g3 03. steve vais playin was amazing joe was not too bad and malmsteen was shredding and he was almost giving out picks but i didnt get one cuz i had back stage passes and got to sit in the balcony 1st row too. after the show i got to meet steve vai my mind went blank.then i met billy sheehan and he was a very nice guy and then me and my dad went by satchs bus and met him he was also very nice but no malmsteen.

·
NUCLEAR UNIBOMBER
967 Posts
Trans-Siberian Orchestra, here in Amarllo, Tx just last year, Dec 10, 2003... without a doubt, the best lights and sound of any live show...

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
The gig I played last night in London would have to be one of the best I've done in the Van Halen tribute....packed out with 5 rows at the front all singing the words to every song! EXACTLY what I formed the band for-to enjoy classic VH that you might not hear ever again. Then for Eruption our singer got down on all fours, I put the guitar flat on his back and hammered the tapping bit piano style! It went down a treat and we hadn't planned it...so we'll be doing that again!

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
sounds awesome wah !

i wish i could be in england so i could check it out !

i don't think i've ever heard ANY band out of all the pub bands i've seen play a vh song except mine ! so would certainly be a good change for me !

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Well Mondola came along and he was grinning like a loon all night! We were pleased (no, make that fucking delighted) with the turnout and the fact that all these 20 year olds knew all the words to the songs! Hearing them sing to the middle bit of 'Hot For Teacher' made up for all the shit we've had to endure over the summer last year. This ain't Cali and unless it's Thin Lizzy, AC/DC or Bon Jovi, the tribute scene is a bit unsupported-especially for a VH tribute. Anyway, had the time of my life and when Mondola gets his puke stained camera back from me that he left in my car when he passed out, I'm sure he'll post a few!!!

·
Registered
7,615 Posts

I can't apologise enough. But I still swear that it was down to a dodgy burger !!!

The funny thing is (looking back on it) that if I'd have waited like 10 seconds later, then I would have been home !!!

I bloody missed Eruption as well !!! Went to phone my sister cuz she'd just landed in Australia, and missed Eruption, Hot For Teacher, etc., et.

What a fookin' plonker !!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Hellacopters a couple of years ago.

Kick ass show, I must say...

·
Registered
23 Posts
rush stafford bingley hal sep 20 70
led zeppelin knebworth aug 11 79
van halen monster of rock castle donnington 1984
slade rotters night club doncaster
verve nme stage glastonbury 95
greatful dead rainbow theatre london i think 81

·
Registered
81 Posts
stevie ray vaughn in 85
ozzy/metallica in 86 with Cliff
Motley Crue in 87

so many hard to narrow it down but theres 3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Van Halen

I saw Van Halen in 2007 on their new tour with DLR. I saw there 5th!! show. But i don't remeber anything that happend lol. To shocked that i was in eddie's presence

Also i saw Dick Dale at Toads place that was cool. And i also met him, he's the king of the surf guitar lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hendrix two nights in a row June 1970.He was really smokin that weekend!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts