37,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Clash
Motor City Roller Rink
Detroit, MI
March 10, 1980
JEMS Master
R.I.P. Jared

Recording Gear: Teac M-100 > Sony TCM-600 (mono)

JEMS 2017 Transfer: master cassette > Nakamichi CR-7A azimuth-adjusted playback > Sound Devices USBPre2 > Audacity 2.0 (24/96 capture to .wav) > iZotope RX and Ozone > Peak Pro XT (edit / index) > xACT 2.35 > FLAC

01 Clash City Rockers
02 Brand New Cadillac
03 Safe European Home
04 Jimmy Jazz
05 London Calling
06 Guns of Brixton
07 Train In Vain
08 Protex Blue
09 White Man in Hammersmith Palais
10 Koka Kola
11 I Fought the Law
12 Spanish Bombs
13 Julie's in the Drug Squad
14 Police and Thieves
15 Stay Free
16 Wrong `Em Boyo
17 Complete Control
18 Clampdown
19 Garageland
20 Armagideon Time
21 English Civil War
22 Tommy Gun
23 London’s Burning
24 Janie Jones
25 I’m So Bored With The USA

Known Faults:
Slight tape issue and eventual patch in “English Civil War”
“Tommy Gun,” “London’s Burning” patched from secondary inferior source
“Janie Jones” and “I’m So Bored With the USA” patched from third source (stereo)

With Jared’s passing in October 2016, the complete JEMS Archive was moved south from his home up north. That move, sad impetus aside, presented a daunting opportunity to go through and organize the collection. With the help of amazing friends and experts (among them Slowburn, SS, RD and slipkid68), JEMS tapes are now accessible in ways they have never been before.

This is another of Jared’s master tapes from his stunningly prolific period in the late ’70s and early ’80s. The show was billed as a benefit for ailing soul music legend Jackie Wilson and was the last night of the Clash’s 16 Tons US tour. In fact, the play-on music for the band, captured on the tape but cut for this torrent, was Wilson’s incomparable “Higher and Higher,” at the completion of which Strummer comments, “I just had to hear that one through to the end.”

The venue was the Motor City Roller Rink, which, based on my research, had a short-lived life as a music venue for rock bands circa 1979-80. Remarkably, about two minutes of excellent color footage from the show survives and can be found on YouTube. The footage also makes it clear that standing still on the floor to tape or film the show would have been impossible.

Jared recorded on a single microphone in mono, and you’ll feel the crowd movement on the tape as it occasionally veers off axis from the PA. For much of the show it is a very good recording but it is inconsistent. Jared also had deck or tape problems about 70 mins into the show (during “English Civil War”), perhaps due to batteries dying or something wrong with the deck.

Jared’s master tape notes that part two of the show can be found on The Clash Chicago ’79. It turns out the part-two tape is an alternate source of Detroit, which we have used to patch here. Additionally, the last two songs of the show come from what appears to be yet another source, and they are in stereo. Samples provided.

Audio of this show is also up on YouTube (apparently lifted from a bootleg called Motor City Rockers) and it is Jared’s recording, but many many generations down, so this represents a substantial upgrade to this spirited performance.

Huge love to Jared for capturing another otherwise lost piece of rock music history. We feel his absence every day and will continue to honor his legacy through the dissemination of his recordings. Thanks as well to mjk5510 for his essential downstream support on getting these recordings into your hands.

BK for JEMS

https://mega.nz/#F!fzgFlajQ!cUM6UGMz_Y_on99O6QAzIQ

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts