Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya, I just wrote this song called "The Coming Plague" its all about this merger between Sony and Siemens Medical that leads to the discovery of advanced MRI techniques which allow for the destructive scanning of the human mind so that it may be uploaded onto a digital media.

Lots of tapping all over this piece, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx man, for some reason my hands seem to like tapping. But for sure, I think you can definately develop the skill, start out with the easy stuff like Eruption or something, and just kinda work your way up slowly from there.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I liked this. The playing is very good as I have come to expect from you. My only criticism is it is not as "finished" as some of your other work. That is not to say it isn't good though, because I really love the way you visualise a subject and work on the music. it is thematic and creative.

Another thing I would love to hear from you is a tune/song that develops over 3 minutes or more. I like the idea of short tunes but I would love to hear you sustain the creative process over more time. I know you have the ability and definitely the humour to do this.

I am waiting anxiously mate :thumb:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goport-

Yeah, I think song length is probably my greatest weakness. However, my mind doesnt seem to work that way. For whatever reason, I hate sticking with one thing for any amount of time.

Like for this piece, seriously, I think there's about 14 different tracks of guitar going on around :38. After all the layering, panning, volume tweaking, and EQ adjusting, it took me about 5 hours to write just :50 seconds of music! And by the 5 hour mark, most songs are just pure drudgery to record and are no longer fun for me. Thus, I usually kill the piece around 1 minute and move onto something else.

Then there's the whole boring the listener thing. For whatever reason, I have a problem with sustaining any kind of thematic development past one minute. That is, if I try to stay with the same "theme" I will usually start repeating myself, with repetition, comes boredom for the listener. SOmetimes I genre-hop a couple of times in the same song to dispel this, but I dunno, it feels disjointed and kinda sneaky.

Anyways, thats my story.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Hey - I knew that mate ;) as an aside it was you that got me thinking deeper about what I was recording and I went over to the dark side (vocals) because I couldn't convey humour just in music without vocals. whereas you do. I found your stuff inspirational last year and it inspired me to do a song called "The butcher" - like you I had trouble getting past a certain song length but I found vocals did it for me at least.

However, you have some real left field talent going on. I always listen out for your posts because I know I am going to like them and the story behind them. I also like the fact that it is not about technique with you but melodic composition. You have a great technique - but the tunes are always odd in a cool way and hold my interest.

I still think that you should work at a 2:45 - 3:00 track. Think of it as an epic if you want. Put in a few movements maybe? You have a very original talent but you are writing short stories at the moment. You definitely have the ability to hold the interest over a longer song - I know it and so do you. I want to hear it and I would love for you to realise it. At the moment you are having a bite of the starter, a bite of the main course and rushing straight to dessert.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Heck of a lot of creativity in this...Well played and superbly composed!
:thumb: :thumb:

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
I enjoyed that. I wish it was longer but you seem to prefer the short story format :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts