Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little something I threw together tonight..its a rough mix. The tones are close but I couldn't get 'em any closer. There was so much background hum in Guitar Port that I had to crank the Noise gate which killed most of my Sustain on my leads
I've tried everything to quiet it down..oh well.

Hope you like it!!!!????

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
When you get the mix the way you want it, PM me. I'm a Cult fan from way back.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This was killa, awesome job!!!

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
It is a great tone! Tight and crisp playing!

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
good job on this one!!!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys...gotta tweak some levels and re-record the solos when I get the sustain problem figured out. I just wish i knew how to get rid of the noise during solos. That friggin' gate clamps off note sustain and deadens the notes. My pickups aren't very hot either...stock passive. Anyone have any suggestions on getting a sweeter thicker lead tone and sustain in GPort?
I really need an external mixer too.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Loved this tune riffer. I used to be a Cult FREAK(!) back in late 80s/early 90s. If not mistaken, I do believe that I possess every recorded song The Cult ever released, ever, including all the B-sides from all thier albums, albums never released, lots of live material, a couple of pre-Electric album era lide videos, including when they were called The Death Cult and Ian's band before that, Southern Death Cult, where he met Billy Duffy while on tour with Duffy's band, Theater of Hate (which I also have a 45 record of a single from them). The Cult album, Sonic Temple, for me was kind of like Metallica's Black album. It had some fantastic songs on it, a few of their best, but It represented the beginning of the decline of my intense interest in them. Anyway, Fire Woman is definitely one of The Cult's best songs ever and your version was really good. I saw some video specials where The Cult and Bob Rock (who ironically also produced Metallica's Black album) were in the studio making that album and I know that Fire Woman is layered with many guitar tracks (you can also hear some of them on a few remixes of that tune), many more than could ever be truly covered live without at least 3 guitarists. So, knowing that, I know this is not an easy song to represent fully and accurately. But i think that you did a fantastic job with it.
from me. Great to hear this song done.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone, KC, thanks bro and yeah it wasn't easy but I've always wanted to play it. I also love the Cult! They have a unique sound like no other band but they had the 80's metal vibe. I just wish I had higher output pickups in my guitars for a thicker tone so eventually I want re-record the leads. It was a bitch to learn them and record and mix the whole song in 4 hours though. whew!

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
This was killa Riffy!!!..The cult is a great band indeed..you did a awsome job!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Riff Addict:
Hope you don't mind, but I dig this tune, so I threw down some quick vocals. Ian Astbury doesn't really fit my style, but I enjoyed doing it anyway. Hope you enjoy it...

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
....that singer....I have heard him before somewhere???.....but he kicks ass!!!!
great to hear you both together!!

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
great take on guitars Riff, and nice one Johnny! The completed track is fucking brilliant!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts