Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
As much as I regret the demise of the Wolfgang, as a collector I appreciate it. It simply makes mine and every other owner of a US Wolfgang more collectable and valuable. Even the Exports will gain a little value. I guess someday I'll be answering questions on Vintage Wolfgangs .
Keith
VGB

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
How long would you think it would take before the wolfy would be considered vintage and more valuable? .. i mean they made them pretty mass produced for a good few years there must be heaps of them around ?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Its not always the amount made, but the number of years produced. I'm sure there are tons of them around, but its a matter of how many are in good shape, original, They didn't mass produce alot of the colors. Custom Shops will increase first along with any colors that were discontinued early. Ones that are !00% orignal will be the next to appreciate. I would guess by most trends that in the first 5 years they will appreciate by about 20%. By most standards of today any guitar thats reached its 20th birthday can be considered "Vintage" Some will say 25 years to reach that status. Even though an instrument isnt "vintage" it can still be considered collectable. There will be some N.O.S. in stores that will be jacked up in price due to non production status. Many stores will want to move them to reduce inventory and make room for a new line. A good example is Kramer Guitars as well as Travis Bean. They were well made and high quality but at the end of production for both they were missed but no one considered them to become anything more than history.
I know from experience that both are becoming harder and harder to find. Its taken about 25 years for the TB to get that way, and Kramers are following the same path. If you follow Ebay, and anymore thats what sets most prices, even the old ST series are bringing at least 75% of the list price. Some have went for more than list. Same with the American made ones.
A used Wolfgang in good shape will bring between 50 and 75% of its listed value. It may even go up to 85% of list the first couple years due to demand. I doubt anyone besides a handful paid true list for theirs. I would look for them to fade some but still hold value for at least 10 years. Approaching the 15 year mark I would expect them to start appreciating about 10% annually until it reaches the 20 year mark. They should bring list then.
Don't feel you have to case them up and never play them again. Thats always a myth. When a collector buys a guitar he expects some normal wear and tear. If there isnt any it makes you worry. A guitar thats been played and worn shows its been loved, not a pos that was cased away because it wasnt desireable.
Keith
VGB

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its supply and demand...and condition...if everyone keeps em and theyre hard to get ,value will go up....look at the discontinued peavey evh guitar strap.....sell for up to $150...rare finish customs will go for big bucks...theyre some of the nicest guitars ever made (my opinion)

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Of course, this is a niche market of which the vast majority are VH fans. Let's take out speculation and figure in some accepted assumptions.

Look around at how much money your buddies around here have, and that will tell you what you can get for your axe in 20 years, apply a generally accepted discount rate of 5% annually to salaries and bonus over 20 years as proposed, and voila, you can find out with some accuracy what yours will sell for. Of course, this theory doesn't hold true for a more larger appeal of an instrument, such as LPs. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yeah the same LP's and Strats that I could pick up for 300 bucks by the dozen 20 year ago are bringing close to 6 times that now. And they were just as mass produced for their times in order to meet the demands of that market.

The nice thing about 20 years down the road it gives you time to save up for the ones you cant afford now.
The Wolfgangs are in a niche market. But look at the old Vox Phantoms and the Moserites. Who would have ever believed what they bring now?
Another thing is not alway what a book says its worth, but what someone buying is willing to pay.
Keith
VGB

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Looks awesome man!!
I have a modded Import special, I love it.
Have been looking for an US one as well...I love Wolfgangs.
Tried the first ones ever to get to Denmark back then....great guitars.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[ QUOTE ]
CanyonCarver said:
I've had my Wolfie for several years now and it's the guitar that feels the best in my hands.
Don't really care whether or not its value changes. To me it's been a priceless companion and I'm not about to consider letting it go.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now Comments like that will make the values skyrocket...i feel the same way

·
Registered
227 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
axeshredder said:
[ QUOTE ]
CanyonCarver said:
I've had my Wolfie for several years now and it's the guitar that feels the best in my hands.
Don't really care whether or not its value changes. To me it's been a priceless companion and I'm not about to consider letting it go.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now Comments like that will make the values skyrocket...i feel the same way

[/ QUOTE ]
Add me to that list.
The best guitar I've ever played. And since we're showing off our wolfies, here's my 1996/7 patent pending black standard....with a pick Eddie through out into the audience when I saw them earlier this month.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts