Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Fall - Clitheroe Castle. 16th June 1985 (complete show)

2 x 4
Couldn't get ahead
Petty thief lout
No bulbs
Gut of the quantifier
Spoilt victorian child
Barmy
Stephen's song
Lay of the land
Oh! brother

First aired on BBC Radio Lancashire [Steve Barker "On The Wire"].

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Gotta be honest. For the previous 7 or 8 years, I'd been into 'serious rock music', punk as well, but mostly seriously trained or at least seasoned, professional musicians.
I listened to & recorded this show as it aired, on a Sunday afternoon, with nowt better to do. It slowly grew on me in the 'it's actually that bad it's good' sense. Unfair in some regards. Just not what I was used to. The guy was considered to be something of a flawed genius. Brix had just joined around that time, I think. She added a different dimension.
Mark E. Smith being invited to read the football results on the BBC was wonderful. It's meant to be done almost reverentially, but he just starts adding 'Town' to the name of a load of teams that don't actually have Town in their name at all, in his broad Mancunian accent. Southampton was one...and it's a city. I think it's still on YT.

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
I probably went to see them on the strength of "Totally Wired" and I agree with your assessment of them....if I saw a record for cheapo cheapo I would pick it up....I had no idea about he BBC business and I will go look that one up...
I did see an interview with Brix but I can't remember the "when" other than Mark had already passed and this was a time beyond that....last five years maybe ......

thank you again for your time and the shows !!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure how this even came about, but it did happen. Not really funny unless you're familiar with lower-league English football clubs. From memory and amongst others Chesterfield and Gillingham also had 'Town' added to their name, for reasons only Mark could've explained:

We need more songs about spoilt Victorian children.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts