Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so last time I brought up Unchained and we all talked about what a masterpiece we thought it was and all that jazz. Well this time I want to talk about The Full Bug. This tune has been a fav of mine since I first got into these guys. Diver Down was the first album I had picked up after I got 1984 as a Christmas present. I used to go everywhere with my DD tape in my walkman. Yes, I said walkman. Remember those! LOL

Anyways, this tune has a great bluesy vibe to it, and a kick ass harmonica jam session part with Dave and the boys gettin wild. Then that leads to my favorite part of the song when it's just Dave singing over Ed's guitar part. "My dog on the corner, wont let you pass. Gotta bad lil woman gon bite yo ass!" Man I love this tune man. It just represents to me what rock and roll should be about. There's a time for love, and serious issues, and then there's a time to just rock out and have fun. The Full Bug is that one word, fun. Discuss...

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This tune just kicks so much ass you are right Sucka, I love it, and that part where Dave is just singing over Ed's guitar is just awesome, that is one of my favorite parts to hear live, I love the Us Festival version of it, and also on the Charlotte 82 boot as well "Evidently Charlotte still knows how to boogie"!! It is just such a fun tune to listen to.. to put it simply it just kicks major ass!!!!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I love it when he improvs it live like he did at the US Festival, and I think he did at the Largo show too. Actually if you look closely at the Largo show I think it is, when Dave comes over to Ed for that part and improvs the lyrics, it looks like Ed rolls his eyes. Something I caught while watching that show awhile ago. I love the improv by Dave though. "I got a woman, in the groove. On the go..on the move, you know it. Yea you know!"

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
You're right Sucka. To me, this has that same loose feel that (while on lots of songs) I can hear more prominantly on Take Your WHiskey Home. It has the same kind of vibe.

I love both of these songs. Van Halen at there fun-most best.

But the lyrics in this one are just the best. So fun, and the comedy harmonies (Ooooooo-ooooooo) just add to it all.

You can't help but crank it up and belt out those lyrics like there's no tomorrow !!!

·
Banned
808 Posts
Your right on sucka!This tune has it all rocks,slows down to catch your breath and then blows you away!!!It ranks up there with my all time VH favorites.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was listening to this song this morning on my ride into work. Great stuff. I love the LIVE version on all the 82-83 boots. Funny stuff when Dave does his "BITE your ass" stuff. I would say it is my 2nd favorite song off of Diver Down behind Little guitars. Very Bluesy, very fun jam.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm listening to a live version from the Sao Paolo show right now. Just a killer live tune that just swings all over the place. I once read a great Kenny Wayne Sheppard quote about describing early Van Halen music. He called it, "heavy metal swing music." I thought that was the perfect descrption of early VH, and this song really has that heavy metal/swing music vibe ya know.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
I'm listening to a live version from the Sao Paolo show right now. Just a killer live tune that just swings all over the place. I once read a great Kenny Wayne Sheppard quote about describing early Van Halen music. He called it, "heavy metal swing music." I thought that was the perfect descrption of early VH, and this song really has that heavy metal/swing music vibe ya know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn Sucka that describes that song perfectly, hevay metal swing music, that kicks ass!!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It really does. That was years ago too when I read that quote. Might have been around the time of VH3 cause KWS opened for VH. I always thought that was the perfect description of early Van Halen. I thought they went a more melodic way with Sam, and kinda wish that had been more blues based atleast on one album, but it still worked. Its all Van Halen to me anyways, but I would still love to hear Ed lay down some bluesy tracks like the Full Bug, or So This Is Love, or even A Apolitcal Blues and Big Fat Money.

·
Banned
808 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
SuckaIn3Piece said:
It really does. That was years ago too when I read that quote. Might have been around the time of VH3 cause KWS opened for VH. I always thought that was the perfect description of early Van Halen. I thought they went a more melodic way with Sam, and kinda wish that had been more blues based atleast on one album, but it still worked. Its all Van Halen to me anyways, but I would still love to hear Ed lay down some bluesy tracks like the Full Bug, or So This Is Love, or even A Apolitcal Blues and Big Fat Money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sucka have you heard A Apolitical Blues live?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I have, I have it on the free dallas gig.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe so, I haven't heard any other versions of it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ok Ok the "Bug"
Without doubt this tune is a definite pointer to Edward's musical parentage. As we all know, his dad played on the ships swing band when they came to the US. I am sure Ed`and Al were exposed to this style of swing/boogie as boys. All they have done is put their bent on it. The song has a real blues drums/bass to it. Dave sings over the guitar as he probably heard when he was a little boy. As many would know he was influnced by the acts of swing and caberet when he was young. Don't you think their is a touch of Sinatra or maybe Dean Martin in his rap over the guitar? Either way this song blends swing, jazz, scat and texas boogie into one. (Remember ZZ TOP Tush and La Grange were staple show pieces for them, so they knew how to boogie) Finally I know this song is a kick ass one as my 4 yr old son requests it constantly. Gets his butt a groovin and his mother a ranting about the noise. In word word....Classic. Cheers to all. Good to be back!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
chris miller said:
Ya not bad.Is that the only cover of it live in dallas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was just listening to my copy of the Monsters Revisited which is the audience version and entire show from Tokyo '89 and they do play A Apolitical Blues on it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great tune.....goes with the rest of the album ( which many claim to be a cop out ) I believe was a great time for them. Yeah, there's a few cover tunes there but just listen to them!!! The whole development of Eds guitar work retooling the originals and making it truly their own. OUTSTANDING WORK FOR SUCH A SHORT RECORDING!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.