Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like it's official. Eddie and Peavey are done. They have renamed the 5150 the 6505. It looks like a 5150, with different badging. Wonder what they'll do with the Wolfgang?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Does anybody know how many 5150s are out there? How long will it be before these start to really go up in value, if ever?

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
i keep hearing this but no one names the source..Peavey website doesnt say that...whats your source...as far as it numbers goes....every company has a numbering system...Peavey pushed it aside for 5150...now they go back to their old system

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
kudochop said:
Does anybody know how many 5150s are out there? How long will it be before these start to really go up in value, if ever?
Vintage brat will prolly be able to give you a better answer , but i imagine they were massed produced for a fair while so might not go up in value for a long time especially the 5150II's

again VB would know much better than me :thumb:

Stig

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
There are a good number out there, and many people who have them turn around a little later and swap them out for something else because they are so noisy.

The Wolfgangs are a similar story, but people keep those :thumb: Unfortunately, the WGs were so massed produced that Peavy eventually turned to Musicians Friend to sell them becuase there was such a huge surplus.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
In reference to the 5150's, we were discussing that at the shop today. There are tons of them out there and production was falling due to a decrease in demands. It will take about 5 years before they start becoming scarce. Since this was "Ed's" amp it will eventually become collectable and even somewhat scarce. In about 5 years they will probably hit their peak value and maintain it somewhat there. We were using current market trends and demands for similar popular items that are no longer in production. They will more than likely value out in good condition with no mods (7 on the 10 scale) about 60% of their original retail value. The 5150 II will probably hit about 50% of their retail value.
These are going to be a tough one to predict. The demand will rise somewhat because of Ed's breakup with Hartley Peavey and many will rush out to buy them thinking they are going up immediately. You will find some new ones in store as NOS for a couple of years as any discontinued model is found.

The Wolfgangs are a different story. The demand didnt drop as much as the 5150 did. Alot of stores are getting 90% of list for them now.
Being American Made is always a plus for them holding a decent market value.

My last inquiry to Peavey about the status of the Wolfgangs was somewhat suprising. They have 26 left in the CS vault that are available for sale. They said that production of the Specials and the archtop models were run in full to meet projected demand for 2004 and all were shipped to date.

I do know of one regional dealer that was selling Wolfgangs at his cost just to unload them.The demand for them was really sporadic by geographic areas. He still had new 2002s hanging along with 2003 and some 2004's.

As far as MF being a surplus distributor I have to disagree. They were made available to increase sales since there are a limited number of Peavey Dealers in a specified region. Alot of the net distributors buy in huge quantities to be able to sell at lower prices. They also pick up blems and seconds for even further discounts. Many are minor blems and since most companies dont stamp them or mark them in anyway they are passed off as 1st line instruments unless its really noticable.
Most storefronts dont care to deal in blems and refurbs because of client demands for first rate quality. MF and others were Peaveys outlet for selling some that didnt stand up to first rate quality.

Dont expect the 5150's to be valued like old Fender amps and such. I doubt they will ever see that status. Treat it as any other mass produced amp when selling or trading it in. Expect about half of retail not MSRP.
VGB

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I was curious just how saturated the market was with 5150s (relative of course). Do you know how to do a serial number search? I found a used 5150 combo at a pawn shop and I'd like to get some info on it. I think it is older because it only has one strap on the top, not the three that the newer ones have. Thanks very much! :icon_peac

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the help, I'll try that out!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The 6505 name comes from Peavey's Anniversary. 1965-2005. According to the ad, everything stays the same except for the name. Pretty cool of them to get this out there quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Well obviously Peavey is now i company to be reckoned with..they dont mess around and are shooting for the moon...so whats there replacement for the Wolfgang?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'd like to know what will be so "buy worthy" about the next amp Ed endorses? You can already get a sweet tone out of 5150s (and any number of other amps).

So in a nutshell: Why should I buy EVH's "new amp"?!?!?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
kudochop said:
I'd like to know what will be so "buy worthy" about the next amp Ed endorses? You can already get a sweet tone out of 5150s (and any number of other amps).

So in a nutshell: Why should I buy EVH's "new amp"?!?!?
Don't worry...Ed will come up with some reason to say that the 5150/II was compromised by Peavey in an effort to control the production costs....but the new EVH <insert brand name here> is the real amp I have been wanting for the last 25 years.....and it's only twice the price.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
axeshredder said:
Well obviously Peavey is now i company to be reckoned with..they dont mess around and are shooting for the moon...so whats there replacement for the Wolfgang?
I think Peavey has more that proven themselves as a SOLID amp company with the 5150, XXX, and JSX......a lot of people are using these amps and not just becasue of endorsement deals. The only real mistake they made in recent history was that Wiggy POS thing. If they lower the price on the 6505 to about 20% less than the JSX.....they will sell a lot of them to the metal crowd.

The guitar market is a much bigger problem for them. The Wolf is a great guitar...many (including me) think its the best guitar they have ever played....but kids starting out new bands are not going to play them on stage due to the EVH name. They need to follow the lead of Ibanez.....make a few high end signature models (Jem7 or JS) to prove they are a good company.....them follow up with lower cost versions of those (such as the RG etc) that people will actually play in new bands. Then kids will want them and start buying them up.

For some reason Gibson keeps a strong hold on the guitar market and can still get $2-3K for a LP....year after year....and new bands can never go wrong playing a LP on stage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
So who do you think EVH will go with?? After I saw the Charvel Strats he made and sold on ebay it would be a matter of time before he switched. Do you think he will go back to the old look (strat) and maybe endorse fender/jackson/charvel ? maybe fender will come up with a plexi type head ? It would be new for them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts