ok I step in
1. You know, SRV did do alot of covers in his day, but that doesnt make him a "imitator". thats why they are called "covers" not "imitations". Call me an imitator too, because I would love to express and redo songs that I adore...
2. Your opinion is your own.. but.. dude, seriously, how many songs have you actually heard from SRV to say that he didnt play "the blues"... Listen to Tin Pan Alley, listen to Texas flood, listen to Leave My Girl Alone (think thats the name), and tell me that that isnt blues..
3. "he couldnt write songs worth listening too" is your own damn opinion, which doesnt make him a non blues player (former I should say) except in your own head..
4. You CAN call anything blues too, wtf, SRV took the stupidest damn song in the world, Mary Had a Little Lamb, and made it into fine listenin blues.. Hell the backstreet boys were blues if you like to look at it that way, though I myself cant... Blues isnt a total style in itself, its a meaning of a players skill.
5. My head hurts, so ARGHAGH
6. k sorry about that, and last thing, "listen to the old timers", pardon me but, The Beatles are rock, ok, put them as the old timers, now get Metallica... Can you not call them both "rock"? They dont sound the same, but they are still in the same Genre (as opposed to other genres).. If I listen to Eric Clapton, then listen to some old J. Lee Hooker, they barely sound alike, different style, different tone, different voice, but you know what???? They are still both blues..
comon man, no offense, but you should look at things a little less shallow
EDIT: im dont lol I dont want to flame up Ax's good thread
so for now on I quit on this, if anyone wants to argue, make a thread in the crapper lol