Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts
awesome guitar work man. wtg!:icon_thum :rock: :rock: i'm about ready to redo this osng myself. i got ideas for this song,, that I wanna record. this song sooo kicks butt.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I think I have just put my neck out! Great one tony :thumb:

·
Airborne Warrior
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just listened to it properly this morning I aint to impressed lol, Timing sucks and to much reverb

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
slightly too much reverb but only in places Tony, not bad considering your playing along with the track tho dude!

like the tone/playing on the fast rhythm

we'll be laying sections/tracks down for the Caught Somewhere in Time track so we'll have full control over it :)

might be worth doing a drums and bass bt for this and get Chris to bosh some vocals over it? ;)

·
Airborne Warrior
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The BT for this comprimised of Bass and Drums and vocals I recorded all the guitars, I shall re do it again nevertheless

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I have had stuff like that happen to me, still GREAT playing, I always listen the next day after a recording.

tony4552 said:
Just listened to it properly this morning I aint to impressed lol, Timing sucks and to much reverb

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
No doubt you have the guitar work under control there buddy! I used to idolize this band back in the 80s - still like'em to this day! :rock:
As for the recording, yeah, there is some room for improvement, but like learning guitar or anything else practice makes perfect. Here are some ideas that may help you to improve your recordings in the future:

Reverb is like a spice - too much of it can ruin an otherwise awesome recording. A basic rule of thumb I have heard is that you should reduce the level of the reverb until it sounds good and "settles in to the mix". Then reduce it 30% more. Good reverb is more of a subliminal effect.

After mixing your guitars in with the backing track, turn your speakers up to a decent level, and then go out of your room and down the hall a few paces and listen. Can you hear all of the parts of the song well? Is one or more part too loud or too soft? Adjust your mix accordingly. Compare your recording to professionally done recordings in this aspect.

And finally - my fave - If you know your guitar part really well, and can play it exactly the same each time you play it then record the guitar twice, and pan the two recordings hard left and hard right. You can even do this two more times for a really PHAT sound! Great fun!

Recording is an art form just like anything else related to music. Experiment, learn - but most of all, have fun!

Rj

·
Airborne Warrior
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rjfoster said:
No doubt you have the guitar work under control there buddy! I used to idolize this band back in the 80s - still like'em to this day! :rock:
As for the recording, yeah, there is some room for improvement, but like learning guitar or anything else practice makes perfect. Here are some ideas that may help you to improve your recordings in the future:

Reverb is like a spice - too much of it can ruin an otherwise awesome recording. A basic rule of thumb I have heard is that you should reduce the level of the reverb until it sounds good and "settles in to the mix". Then reduce it 30% more. Good reverb is more of a subliminal effect.

After mixing your guitars in with the backing track, turn your speakers up to a decent level, and then go out of your room and down the hall a few paces and listen. Can you hear all of the parts of the song well? Is one or more part too loud or too soft? Adjust your mix accordingly. Compare your recording to professionally done recordings in this aspect.

And finally - my fave - If you know your guitar part really well, and can play it exactly the same each time you play it then record the guitar twice, and pan the two recordings hard left and hard right. You can even do this two more times for a really PHAT sound! Great fun!

Recording is an art form just like anything else related to music. Experiment, learn - but most of all, have fun!

Rj
thank you very much for this advice its been taken onboard i've been playing a long while now but only been recording with the pc a couple of months so its still a steep learning curve for me again thanks alot

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
This is the quintessential Maiden song and it turned me into a fan way back when. Even though you were unsatisfied with some of the recording aspects, one can still tell your guitar playing was up to the task. After you work out the mix, it will be cool to the hear the new version.

·
Airborne Warrior
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ksdb said:
This is the quintessential Maiden song and it turned me into a fan way back when. Even though you were unsatisfied with some of the recording aspects, one can still tell your guitar playing was up to the task. After you work out the mix, it will be cool to the hear the new version.
thank you very much

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
tony4552 said:
thank you very much for this advice its been taken onboard i've been playing a long while now but only been recording with the pc a couple of months so its still a steep learning curve for me again thanks alot
No problem! Keep up the good work!

Rj

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Sounds good mate but I did it about 8 months ago and you'll find it impossible to get it 100% timing because the bass line is all over the place...especially at the beginning. I tried about 5 or 6 times and in the end found you have to go with the bass or it goes all over the place. Besides the timing (which isn't your fault) you did a good job...nice guitar work. :thumb:

·
Airborne Warrior
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wahwah said:
Sounds good mate but I did it about 8 months ago and you'll find it impossible to get it 100% timing because the bass line is all over the place...especially at the beginning. I tried about 5 or 6 times and in the end found you have to go with the bass or it goes all over the place. Besides the timing (which isn't your fault) you did a good job...nice guitar work. :thumb:
ttell me about it I have redone it and will post it once my computer stops mucking around and lets me post:werd:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts