Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well...since it's Sat night...and I sit here bored with no social life of which to speak.....
I thought I'd upload another tune.
This one is a fairly recent one and is pretty much a mish-mash of all my "heavy end of the spectrum" influences, ranging from Metallica....Korn...Blue Oyster Cult....SciFi movies....the Theremin (lol)...and of course the almighty Godzilla! :rock:

Anyway, it's pretty much a typical metalfest type-of-outing....
Everything was recorded in Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 2.0 on my lame-o PC, using my Dean EVO AS7 and Dean Avalanche 7 through a Digitech GNX1.
Pretty much everything you hear was doubled or tripled, since I'm an overly obsessive multitracking putz. :scif890: lol
The weird, wobbly tones that come in at about :53, was my attempt a recreating those old SciFi movie sound effects created by the Theremin. There's also a bit of heavily flanged bass & other noises, reminiscent of Metallica's "The thing that should not be".

Oh yeah....and that intro is my heavied up take on BOC's classic "Godzilla". :bannana_g

Here's hoping that some of ya get a kick out of it! LOL

**Edit**
Due to file storage limits...I had to delete this mp3..if you want to hear it, you can find it on my SoundClick site on the "Music" page:
http://www.soundclick.com/donmadison

Thanks,
Don

·
Thunder from the East
2,039 Posts
this is awesome bro :D u rule!!! excellent :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
joeydahlia said:
how do you get your drums to work..?

I am having a problem working with drum loops..

joey
Joey,

Thanks dude! I appreciate it! :thumb:

For drums & stuff....I've just been using Fruity Loops for the last few years.
Typically, I build my songs up from patterns that I put together. I've got a Discrete Drums CD that I've worked with a bit & I've tried working with premade "Loops"...but even though the drums sounds are much better, you kind of end up fitting your song to the drums, instead of having drums that fit your song.....(lol)....if that makes any sense. ;)

The version of FL that I have is just an "Express" version, so it's pretty limiting, but I've assembled a basic template of my fav sound samples that I have and I use for all my main drums parts.
My particular version of FL lets you use 16 different drum sounds. So I set it up with; 2 kicks, 2 snares, 3 hi hats, 2 rides, 4 toms and 3 crashes. That's the basic setup. I also have another with different percussion stuff, that I'll synch up with the main one, if I need some additional elements....
....The two kicks are so that it doesn't sound like one monotone buzzsaw type double bass. They're the same sample, but set at pitches & slightly different volumes...just to try & break it up a bit. Likewise with the 2 snares. There's the main one for the beat and one set a tad higher in pitch & lower in volume for snare "widdlies" and rolls/fills. Hi hats are Open, Closed Loud & Closed Soft....That my main setup, that really doesn't change much. I might swap out snare samples once in a while or something. But usually that's my starting point....
...From there, I go through and build up all the patterns/fills that I think I'll need for the and start laying them out. It usually goes together very quickly, then I spend a day or two tweaking and revising. I usually create about 3-5 patterns for each segement of a tune. Say for like a verse-type segment, I'll have a pattern with a crash, to start the segement...a couple non-crash variations of the basic pattern...maybe one or two with short fills or accents...and then one that has a fill to transition into the next segement.

That leads me to the point, that my version of FL also only allows for 32 patterns per song...which can also become an issue at times, cause every once in a while, if a tune has too many changes, I have to make several files, export them as wav files and then piece them together in Guitar Tracks Pro....since it's easy to get carried away and use up all your alloted patterns for a song. ;-)
Ditto for tempo changes. Several songs that I have, contain 3, 4 or more tempo changes and since my version of FL doesn't allow for tempo changes within the given song, I again have to paste'em together in Guitar Tracks Pro.

This is all kind of a bassackwards way of doing things and I know that there are far superior products out there, like the "Drum Kit From Hell" stuff and some sort of Piano Roll feature, where you can just lay out all your drum parts in one fell swoop...but I just haven't upgraded to a better system yet. LOL
I'm looking to get into a better recording setup in the next few months, at which time I'm hoping to also take a stab at a better drum/percussion setup than Fruity Loops. At which point...I'll more'n likely have more endless ramblings for any poor soul who's unfortunate enough to ask about it. :crazy: LOL

Hope some of this made sense...if not....
Chalk it up to the sleep deprived ramblings of someone who's dogs woke them up at 4:30am to take'em outside in sub 20* weather! :mad:

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
560 Posts
well for most of my stuff I never needed cool drums,but now I want to get into traditional music like *zilla stomp*.

I am going to need some drums before I can do any of this music.

Is there a program that let's you write the drum patterns and export as a wav?

I can import into my program with ease,but the loops sometimes don't line up , as if I was really playing the drums.. :irk:

joey

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don,

This song is killer! We're not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very tight rhythmic oriented (Thing that should not be) style that just begs to be heard. Awesome speed and control at 2:51 when your solo kicks in.

I would love to get my hands on some of your drum tracks Don. I'd be willing to trade you some of my stuff (loops saved as wav files). I've got tons and tons of stuff.

Kev

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DOH!!!! :doh:

Hadn't even realized it, but I think that I may have initially uploaded the wrong version of this tune. I had re-recorded all the rhythms and the ending solo, cause I thought that they were a bit mushy sounding the first time around.
I was listening this morning and thought it sounded like my first attempt at it...though now I'm not sure. LOL :confused:

Anyway, I reloaded the file with the most current version of it.
No differences in the song at all, just redone rhythms & solo.
Not like it really matters all that much....(lol)....but what the heck.

Don

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Man....I now realize how much I've missed your music!!! You were one of my favs on GB....really glad you showed up here, bro!!!:woot: This is killer, Don!!!!!!!:jam:

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
awesome!!!!:thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts