Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my cover of "Welcome to the Working Week," from Elvis Costello's first album.

Long experience has taught me not to upload anything online until I've heard it on a dozen different systems, but this just sounds so good coming out of my monitor speakers that I just can't help myself. Plus, I'm excited that I finally got around to doing a Costello cover, albeit a short one.

Please don't hurt me.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
brilliant!!! I am a total costello fan. Interesting choice too. I did a cover based on his version of whats so funny about peace love and understanding a while back http://www.guitars101.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30828&page=1&pp=10

Costello really was a genius from my aim is true up to spike. after that he got a little too diverse for me butthere are still some gems to be had on all of his cds.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys!

I've been listening and listening to this track (It's only a 1:35 song, so listening over is pretty easy), and I really like it.

Now I'm thinking of doing a couple other covers from this album, but I want to veer away from Costello's arrangements somewhat. The problem is, I've listened to "My Aim Is True" so many times that changing the arrangement and instrumentation is pretty hard. For instance, I moved "Miracle Man" from the key of E to D (just dropped it a step, of course), and added in some organ, as well as speeded up the tempo. Just doesn't sound right to me, although I'm very early on in the process.

Elvis Costello is a musical genius, in my book, and this is is best album, I think, although I sure like "Imperial Bedroom," "Armed Forces," "When I was Cruel,"....:notme:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts