Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that there is some debate on exactly how to best utilize the VR GAIN level depending on the amp(s) you use.

Some say: "Max VR GAIN on all amps/cabs for best tone!":woot:

Others say: "On amps with Master Volume control, dial the VR GAIN back down and find the 'sweet spot' for the best tone.":wutblau:

I have been subscribing to the former and keeping the VR GAIN maxxed as well as the CH VOL. However, I'm not so sure this is the best way to get sweet tone. For example: I have the first four channels set up as 'JCM900' (UK90's), 'JCM2000' (UKModern), 'Recto' (RECTO), and 'PLEXI' (UK68P).

Whether I dial in low or high gain, they all sound VERY close to each other - to the point that I don't know if I can honestly tell the difference. It's almost as if they are all using the same gain structure (and only the EQ is varying). The PLEXI is definitely more "mid-heavy" than the others...but that's all I can discern.

Then I try the cleaner models and they just don't have that "sparkle" and punch to them. I am sure I have something set wonky. I've heard amazing clean tones with a lot of life... I just can't find them lately.

I figure this is a case of "dumb user has it set up wrong"... because I believe the different amp models SHOULD sound different. Right?

What are your thoughts on this matter? I know it all boils down to what "my ears think" - but I need good guidelines to start with. What should I try - in order to get the sweetest tones?

Thanks for your help.
~A~

G

·
Yes I struggled with this for a day or two and have found that the best course of action was to "ignore" all advice and go your own way. I have now got my TonelabSE set up so that I have a perfect Fender 4x10 sound and a fine British Sound based on the UK68P.
I used my Fender Concert 4x10 Combo as a reference point and got the TonelabSE set up so that it replicated it as closely as was possible. I then did exactly the same with my Orange Half Stack for setting up the UK68P

Use the VR Gain carefully and you will benefit very quickly. Just set up using the amount that sounds right to you. Maxing it will onlylead to a Horrid racket where definition is totally lost.
Good Luck and let us know how you get on ok?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grumpy Old Fool said:
Use the VR Gain carefully and you will benefit very quickly. Just set up using the amount that sounds right to you. Maxing it will onlylead to a Horrid racket where definition is totally lost.
Good Luck and let us know how you get on ok?
Okay - you nailed what I was trying to get at - LOST definition.:rant: It is just max distortion... I will try starting with a low VR on each of my presets and see what dynamics emerge.
~A~

1 - 3 of 3 Posts