Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the net for 4 days now, and cannot find a link to download an old and very rare album that has been out of print for a long time. Can't afford to buy it--SSDI barely covers the rent. Perhaps someone here can help. Asso, you are the king and maybe you can help. Finding this will be a challenge for the best of y'all.

The Album is called The Blues Project, but it pre-dates the Blues Project Projections album and has mostly different personnel. It is EKS 7264-1964 in stereo or EKL 7264-1964 in mono, from elektra Records.

Members of the band include:
Geoff Muldaur Vocals, Guitar
John Koerner Vocals, Guitar
Dave Ray Vocals, Guitar
Danny Kalb Vocals. Guitar, Harmonica
Ian Buchanan Vocals, Guitar
Mark Spoelstra Vocals, Guitar
Eric Von Schmidt Vocals, Guitar, Mandolin, Harmonica

BACK-UP MUSICIANS
Tony Glover Drums
Fritz Richmond Washtub Bass, Jug
John B. Sebastian Harmonica
Doug Pomeroy Drums
Bob Landy (He is Bob Dylan !!!) Piano

Track list is
A1 Fixin' to Die
A2 Blow Whistle Blow
A3 My Little Woman
A4 Ginger Man
A5 Bad Dream Blues
A6 Winding Boy
A7 I'm Troubled
A8 France Blues
B1 Don´t You Leave Me Here
B2 Devil Got My Woman
B3 Southbound Train
B4 Downtown Blues
B5 Leavin' Here Blues
B6 Hello Baby Blues
B7 She's Gone
B8 Slappin' on My Black Cat Bone

Can anyone help? I've even tried torrents which I generally don't do, but my friend who wants this album has MS and who knows how long to live, and I'd really like to honor her request and find this for her.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dutchboy, thanks for helping, but I get a message File Not Found when it takes me to Jumbo Files. I even tried registering at Jumbo Files, but just filling out their simple registration I am told that my format was invalid without telling me what about it was invalid.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I googled it and found it on a blog. The blog had been deleted but the page was cached at google.

The Blues Project (March 1964)

In 1964, Elektra Records produced a compilation album of various artists entitled The Blues Project which featured several white musicians from the Greenwich Village area who played acoustic blues music in the style of black musicians.

One of the featured artists on the album was a young guitarist named Danny Kalb, who was paid $75 for his two songs. Not long after the album’s release, however, Kalb gave up his acoustic guitar for an electric one. The Beatles’ arrival in America earlier in the year signified the end of the folk and acoustic blues movement that had swept young America in the early 1960s.

This one-shot recording date in 1964, The Blues Project, an Elektra folk blues compilation, featured Kalb on two tracks (“I’m Troubled,” “Hello Baby Blues”) as well as Van Ronk, Spider John Koerner, Eric Von Schmidt, Geoff Muldaur and others.

The LP sold over 300,000 copies, introduced a new generation of would-be bluesmen to the music, and gave Kalb the name for what would become his band a year later.

1. Fixin’ to Die (Bukka White) 3:47
Dave Ray (vocals & 12-string guitar)
Released on CD as a bonus track of the album “Lots More Blues, Rags & Hollers” (Red House, 1999) by Koerner, Ray & Glover

2. Blow Whistle Blow (traditional, arr: Eric von Schmidt) 2:44
Eric von Schmidt (vocals & guitar), Fritz Richmond (washtub bass), John Sebastian (harmonica)

3. My Little Woman (John Koerner) 2:10
John Koerner (vocals & 7-string guitar)
Released on CD as a bonus track of the album “Lots More Blues, Rags & Hollers” (Red House, 1999) by Koerner, Ray & Glover

4. Ginger Man (Geoff Muldaur) 2:05
Geoff Muldaur (vocals & guitar)

5. Bad Dream Blues (Dave van Ronk) 3:52
Dave van Ronk (vocals & guitar)

6. Winding Boy (traditional) 3:26
Ian Buchanan (vocals & guitar), Fritz Richmond (washtub bass)

7. I’m Troubled (traditional) 2:27
Danny Kalb (vocals & guitar), Fritz Richmond (washtub bass), John Sebastian (harmonica)

8. France Blues (Mobile Line) (traditional) 2:31
Mark Spoelstra (vocals & 12-string guitar), Fritz Richmond (washtub bass), Doug Pomeroy (washboard & kazoo)

9. Don’t You Leave Me Here (Jelly Roll Morton) 2:46
Dave van Ronk (vocals & guitar), Fritz Richmond (washtub bass)

10. Devil Got My Woman (Skip James) 4:06
Geoff Muldaur (vocals & guitar), Eric von Schmidt (mandolin)

11. Southbound Train (John Koerner) 4:04
John Koerner (vocals & 7-string guitar), Tony Glover (harmonica)

12. Downtown Blues (Frank Stokes – Dan Sane) 2:28
Geoff Muldaur (vocals & guitar), Eric von Schmidt & Bob Dylan (piano), Fritz Richmond (washtub bass), John Sebastian (harmonica)
Released on CD on the compilation “Forever Changing: The Golden Age Of Elektra Records 1963-1973″ (Rhino, 2006)

13. Leavin’ Here Blues (Dave Ray) 4:48

14. Hello Baby Blues (traditional) 1:59
Danny Kalb (guitar)

15. She’s Gone (Hound Dog Taylor) 2:05
Mark Spoelstra (vocals & 12-string guitar), Fritz Richmond (washtub bass), Doug Pomeroy (washboard)

16. Slappin’ on My Black Cat Bone (Dave Ray) 2:14
LINK: http://lix.in/-966526

I didn't download, but the megaupload link still works (the rapidshare doesn't, didn't try the others)...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flywheel--thank you very much. Digging up a chached deleted file. Wow! Thanks again. It is great listening. I generally just download and listen, but as I noted, this has a special purpose and will really lift her days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts