Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my list of top 10 worst guitarists......

1. kurt Kobain( started shit grunge and ruined shred and hard rock guitar for awhile in the music scene and cant play guitar alone himself in my book)
2. ace frehley( sad when you forget your own solos and Tommy Thayer has to remind and show you how to play em! and this is the gods honest truth taken from guitar one magazine! tell me this isnt pitiful)
3. tom delonge from blink 182
4. richie kotzen( is no C.C.Deville)
5. reb beach(couldnt put a pimple on george lynch's chops)
6. Mick mars( like some of Crue's tunes,, but his guitar playing lacks alot that could use more in my opinion)
7. bruce kulick( another Kiss fluke,, I know ace is better, but neither of em have really caught my ear)
8. vinnie vincent( what invasion did you come out with? a crappy one)
9. Jerry Garcia( never liked the dead and the phish guitarist copies him sorry if I offend deadheads but his style is one I never cared to learn
10 and last but not least this goes out to all the grunge bands and alot of todays guitarists that do one finger chords,, no solos,, and really ruined the classic rock and hard rock image for quite awile in my opinion. pretty sad i can learn a a new tune from any of todays band in about 5 to 10 minutes compared to old vh,, and any other type of classic rock that had true talent.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Scott I couldn't of said it better..but my only comment is for number 10...a bunch of new bands in todays age make some killer music..granted its all drop d tuning and one chord stuff but as far as solos going, sometimes it just sound good if you like that kind of style of music not to have a solo in the songs..

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah true but I'm from the old school where i love to hear solos. granted i like some of the new stuff from 3 doors down,, disturbed,, creed,, and a few others,, but for the most part,, my heart is for the old school hard rock and classic rock.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
I'd agree with only no's 2, 7 and 8...only because even tho I'm old school, I like a good tune and Kurt and Mick Mars wote some good dittys without being awesome players; Reb has a great tapping style; Richie had the most difficult task of replacing Paul Gilbert in Mr Big and did as good as anybody who wasn't cloned from Paul Gilbert! As for Jerry, I was never a fan of the Dead but I had to admire the gy for still doing it and playing live right up until his death. I personally think that Kirk Hammett is awful but he's had a career and made pots of money...nuff respect man!

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
as much as their guitar work is pretty basic stuff .. you gotta admit blink tunes and some of those other punk bands are pretty damn catchy .. i respect a good guitar tune when i hear one ...

·
Registered
819 Posts
hmmm, i never found them catchy at all, every blink 182 song sounds EXCACTLY the same, how many times can you keep switching power chord progressions around? and keep singing about sex and getting drunk?

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
EddieMan2003 said:
and keep singing about sex and getting drunk?

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to the first 6 albums of vh lol jk ...

i can understand what you mean though .. they are a bit predictable sometimes i wouldn't really go out and buy all their stuff... but for the occasional song to hear on the radio i kinda like them ... they used to get me going at a party after a few beers and you no what eddie says if it sounds good it is good ! hehe

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
also alot of great songs have been made up from a selection of power chords ... alot of 80's bands did it as well . it's like saying to BB king or SRV how many times can you play that I IV V progression and sing about losing your woman before you get bored ?

just some thoughts ! my opinion

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I agree with most of your list Scott, expect for Reb Beach. Yes he was in Winger, but he could pull some licks out of his ass at times.

I also have to agree with Thorogood..saw him live one time...what a joke. He would just sit on one note, pick and bend it for 5 minutes and the crowd would go wild....I left and went home.

·
Registered
819 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Stiglar said:
also alot of great songs have been made up from a selection of power chords ... alot of 80's bands did it as well . it's like saying to BB king or SRV how many times can you play that I IV V progression and sing about losing your woman before you get bored ?

[/ QUOTE ]

deep purple did this the best imo.

by the way how old is this thread lol...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Scott Parnell said:
here is my list of top 10 worst guitarists......

1. kurt Kobain( started shit grunge and ruined shred and hard rock guitar for awhile in the music scene and cant play guitar alone himself in my book)
2. ace frehley( sad when you forget your own solos and Tommy Thayer has to remind and show you how to play em! and this is the gods honest truth taken from guitar one magazine! tell me this isnt pitiful)
3. tom delonge from blink 182
4. richie kotzen( is no C.C.Deville)
5. reb beach(couldnt put a pimple on george lynch's chops)
6. Mick mars( like some of Crue's tunes,, but his guitar playing lacks alot that could use more in my opinion)
7. bruce kulick( another Kiss fluke,, I know ace is better, but neither of em have really caught my ear)
8. vinnie vincent( what invasion did you come out with? a crappy one)
9. Jerry Garcia( never liked the dead and the phish guitarist copies him sorry if I offend deadheads but his style is one I never cared to learn
10 and last but not least this goes out to all the grunge bands and alot of todays guitarists that do one finger chords,, no solos,, and really ruined the classic rock and hard rock image for quite awile in my opinion. pretty sad i can learn a a new tune from any of todays band in about 5 to 10 minutes compared to old vh,, and any other type of classic rock that had true talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Riche Kotzen dude? I know he wasnt that great in Poison, but have you heard his solo stuff with Mother Head, or any of the stuff with Greg Howe? There's some KILLER stuff in there man.

I gotta put in a vote for Jack White as the worst guitarist out there today.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
EddieMan2003 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stiglar said:

[/ QUOTE ]

deep purple did this the best imo.

by the way how old is this thread lol...

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread is ancient . i've noticed since we've had some newbies all these threads have been resurected half the time i can't even remember what i wrote in reply to these threads lol

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
good god, man...how the hell can you toss neil young's name in there

That dude is absolutely a brillant guitarist and has, for the most part, consistently pumped out good music since the 60's.

1 - 20 of 323 Posts