Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my attempt @ a portion of the Top Gun Anthem that Steve Stevens played...Please forgive me for the amount of noise I generate...

http://www.wwfii.org/mp3/Top%20Gun%20(Take%202).mp3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,615 Posts
Great tone dude. If I were you, I would, and I can't believe I am saying this, back the guitar down just a tad. Or equalise it differently. It sometimes seems to drown out the backing track.

But the playing is stellar. I always wanted to do this.

Love the wahwah on there !

Great stuff !!!

One of the first tunes I learnt to play, but none of the whammy bar stuff or bends or squeals. Just the simple stuff. Over and over again in order to wind my sister crazy !!!

:lol:

Rocking !!!

:rock:

p.s. I stole your backing track. Hope you don't mind...

:notme:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't really know how to mix anything right now, and I'm still a crappy guitar player. Thanks for all the kind comments, but I know I need lots of work.

For some reason, I could even hear my pick hitting the strings. I use really thin-picks, but maybe that's part of the problem? Does the pick noise go away with experience, or is it my technique at picking a string?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,555 Posts
wwfII I had the same problem when I was playing last year I felt like I could always hear the pick hitting the strings. It will go away when you get more comfortable with your picking hand and the guitar you are using. I also did this tune a while back I love that tone you had going on! Try to hit the strings softer and don't tense up your hands when you play (I dont know if you are doing this but it could help) Hope that helps bud!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike4beka said:
wwfII I had the same problem when I was playing last year I felt like I could always hear the pick hitting the strings. It will go away when you get more comfortable with your picking hand and the guitar you are using. I also did this tune a while back I love that tone you had going on! Try to hit the strings softer and don't tense up your hands when you play (I dont know if you are doing this but it could help) Hope that helps bud!
Thanks for the information! I'll work on it!
 

·
Da Blooze Guy
Joined
·
5,854 Posts
WWFII said:
I don't really know how to mix anything right now, and I'm still a crappy guitar player. Thanks for all the kind comments, but I know I need lots of work.

For some reason, I could even hear my pick hitting the strings. I use really thin-picks, but maybe that's part of the problem? Does the pick noise go away with experience, or is it my technique at picking a string?
Thin picks will give you that noise, simply for the fact they are so thin and flexible. You get that sort of slappy, thin sound. The best advice I ever got when I first started was to change from thin to heavy picks. That being said, when I play electric, I normally use a Dunlop Jazz III, 1.38mm, a really small pointy stiff pick. However I keep a supply of mediums, and even thins, normal size. I use the thins sometimes when I record acoustic strumming for when I want that slappy, thinner sound., mediums for a fuller sound, and the heavys, for when I want to bash it out. Picks are cheap, go out and buy a few different styles and gauges, and see what suits you best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rythameen said:
Thin picks will give you that noise, simply for the fact they are so thin and flexible. You get that sort of slappy, thin sound. The best advice I ever got when I first started was to change from thin to heavy picks. That being said, when I play electric, I normally use a Dunlop Jazz III, 1.38mm, a really small pointy stiff pick. However I keep a supply of mediums, and even thins, normal size. I use the thins sometimes when I record acoustic strumming for when I want that slappy, thinner sound., mediums for a fuller sound, and the heavys, for when I want to bash it out. Picks are cheap, go out and buy a few different styles and gauges, and see what suits you best.
Sounds great. I'll give that a try!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top