Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your favorite instructional videos? For me the list is:
Guitars From Mars - Paul Gilbert
Terrifying Guitar Trip - Paul Gilbert
Rock Discipline - John Petrucci
Total Electric Guitar - Eric Johnson
Progressive Drum Concepts - Mike Portnoy (I know its a drum video, but I've gotten a lot out of it in terms of rhythm)

Mods -
I think this thread is in the right forum, if not, please move it.

- Ryan -

·
Registered
2 Posts
check out Curt Mitchell's vids...he knows his stuff and can actually teach it...most of them you have there are good...didn't really like rock discipline...Gilbert's intense rock sequences one and two covered all that and more...check them out too

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check out Curt Mitchell's vids...he knows his stuff and can actually teach it.
I have 3 of the Guitar Method videos with Curt Mitchell, the Pink Floyd, Hendrix, and Van Halen ones. The Van Halen one is a little difficult to watch without laughing. It should be called "The Ultimate Guide to Being an 80's Guitar Player" sort of dated. Still, Curt at his worst is a lot better than John McCarthy from the RockHouse series.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got Rock Discipline and I've been going through it cause I need something to get me started on soloing. As of now I can cover other peoples solos by practicing them, but I want to know my own way around the fret board and not just copy. So far it's really interesting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got Rock Discipline and I've been going through it cause I need something to get me started on soloing. As of now I can cover other peoples solos by practicing them, but I want to know my own way around the fret board and not just copy. So far it's really interesting.
I'm not sure Rock Discipline is going to teach you your way around the fretboard. It's really geared more toward getting your physical technique in shape. As far as fretboard knowledge goes, I'd actually recommend Joe Stump's Chop builder for rock guitar (Berklee Press) or the Scales & Modes volume of the Guitar Grimoire videos. The Grimoire vid would be first choice.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just finished the "Blues & Blues Rock" Guitar World dvd. It's great because not only is Andy Aledort a great teacher, but the TAB is included with the DVD. I really have to do some research before I buy ANY instructional video/dvd because most of them don't have any TAB or music.... :wutblau:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got the entire Guitar Grimoire on DVD, and it's really good stuff. It teaches a lot of the basic music theory, some of which I knew from playing piano way back when, but then it talked about how to implement that theory onto the actual fretboard, and that's where I've been struggling. I plan on taking it one DVD at a time, and writing my own scale charts, cause I'm too cheap to shell out more money for the books. But I think it would be better that way too... cause I learn stuff better when I write it down. And after that it's just practice practice practice! So I'd like to thank you again 7strings for the recommendation, it's working out really well. :icon_head:

PS. The fact that it looks so satanic scares my gf, but I know it's all just for show... lol.

·
BRAVO TIME
3,140 Posts
1) Paul Gilbert Intense picking
2) Greg Howe-hot licks-really good for economy picking and arps-this guy is a monster
3) Paul Gilbert Intense 2-the Gilbert tapes are really good for picking.
4) Electric Slide-Keith Wyatt:grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.