Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing guitar for a few yours on my line 6 spider amp (the one with all the annoying presets) and I think its about time I moved up in the world of music and amplifiers.

My main issue with choosing an amp has been that I want to learn a lot of different songs by many different artists and i'm not sure what amp would suit this purpose.

some of my favorite guitarists are

Chuck Schuldiner (death)
John mclaughlin (mahavishnu)
Peter Lake (theory in practice)
Robert Fripp (king crimson)
Al Di Meola
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (mars volta)
Steve Howe (yes)
Thomas Erak (fall of troy)
Terrance Hobbs (suffocation)
Hendrix
john Levasseur (cryptopsy)

I understand that no one amp can capture all these artists but based on my tastes in music perhaps you could reccomend a good amp.

The most i'm willing to spend is 800. i understand my tone won't be perfect but i want to move in the right direction.

I hear good things about the peavey 5150, any other suggestions gentlemen?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think you may already have the amp. When you play different genres then the modeling amps are most likely your best bet. If you want something more professional maybe try the Spider Valves. They are solid state preamp sections coupled with a Bogner tube power amp section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
admittedly the amp is pretty good but my issue is that it sounds so hollow.

Recently i've decided to learn 21century schizoid man but i can't quite nail the tone which isn't too big of an issue but my ears don't like it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
5150 FTW! :bannana_g

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bugera

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why a tube?
Better be sure you know what your getting into. :scif890:
I had the Spider III 100 watt a while back and honestly it was not a bad amp.
A little muddy at high volumes, but probably a good cab could fix it.
I like the blues setting with the green light model....
Tubes are a WAY HUGE hassle. You will spend more time fiddling with trying to chase tone, rather than just jamming away.
I'm with Warped.... check out some of the higher line 6 SS amps.... :bowdown:
If you don't like them, check out the B-52 LS 100.. :woot:
The Tech 21 Trademark 60 or 100... :icon_head
Or the Carvin SX100H.....:thumbup:

All SS made in the US and all kick major bum.
Save your $$$ and skip the valves......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look for a used 5150II and the II is very important. They say the 5150 and 5150II sound exactly the same minus a preamp tube in the clean channel but that has to be the biggest load of BS ever. The 5150II has a way cleaner not so fuzzy lead channel that is killer and hard to beat for your budget. I bought a 5150II head and matching cab for 850$. Sold the Peavey 5150 cab and bought a marshall and for what you get, it can only be beaten out by diezels and high end tube amps in my opinion, even then the 5150II is still usually better! Also I've droped mine off a full stack TWICE(not my fault) and it played perfectly like nothing ever happened. They're built for the road no joke!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts