Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I dont know if I am posting this in the right place but I did not see thread dedicated to pedal and effects.

I have been wanting to buy a Keeley modified Tube Screamer. I love the sound that SRV gets from his. Keeley however does different Mods to different models and I wasnt sure which one to get.(eg. TS9,TS808/ baked mod, plus mod, true bypass.)

Does anyone else on this site use one of these, or have any insight on the different sounds for different upgrades and models.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have an old ts-9 that I modded with the bypass and to the ts-808 specs (SRV MOD). I think it was worth the mods- I love that pedal and wish I had a backup for it. The mods are pretty easy and cheap, but the important thing is that the pedal you get- whether it is a ts-10, 9 or one of the new 808's is that it has the jrc4558 chip in it. The chip can be found online, but they are getting rarer. If you look on ebay, you can find an older ts-9 and it should have the 4558 in it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, I read keeleys AD and he says that he installs the RC4558. So I was wondering what the difference was between the JRC4558 and the RC4558?

·
Registered
371 Posts
They are pretty much the same thing I think- they may have run out of old stock and I believe the chip is being reproduced because of the demand. There should be no difference if it is made the same. It may just depend on how picky you are about getting as close to the EXACT tone - which IMO is not possible with gear alone, tone has a lot more to do with the player than the gear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, Yeah Im not looking for exact tone. I just like that sound close is good enough. I hope to purchase one from Keeley soon. I have only did a couple soldering jobs in my life and I dont trust myself to make the Mods.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The RC4558 is made by Texas Instruments and the JRC4558 is made by the New Japan Radio Corp. They are all over fleabay, unfortunately, the ones available there are new units. They sound differently than the old ones from late 70's. The Fleabay sellers won't tell you that though :scratch: Also, you can biy the new ones from mouser electronics for under a buck each. The Fleabayers sell the same ones for sometimes over 15 bucks each.

If you can find one, try an original Raytheon 4558. They sound pretty amazing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool thats the info I was looking for. However as I stated I dont trust myself to solder this thing. You know of a company that sells the whole pedal already modded with the good chip in it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts