Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice appreciated.

Here is what I want. That tube amp sound straight into my Layla Box through a Radius Three Fat Man stereo tube compressor. I know I can get that with just about any tube stomp into my Hot Rod Deluxe but that amp is far too loud for my living conditions. I need something that will record a real tube sound at lower volume levels.

I am a little sick of modelers, like the PodXT which I just sold, and my GNX2. I need that real amp sound now, and I need some advice on it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
This is probably a bit more of an expensive solution than you are after, but you may want to get a Cyber Twin SE ($1200) It sounds just as good at low "bedroom" volumes as it does crankin' it up! It's stereo with 65 watts per channel so it can get pretty damn loud if you need it to. I have been recording at home at low volume levels and I get GREAT tone. If ya want to hear a sample of the sounds I get, let me know and I'll post up some mp3s for ya.

Lata!

Rj

G

·
Simple and really great solution.

ZVex Nano Head. Halh a Watt Clean and 5 Watts of Pure Tube Mayhem! :thumb:
I have one and use it for exactly this purpose.

Check out the Reviews on Harmony (sic) Central. Just for once they are about right!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
How about a power soak?? They hook up between the amp and the speaker itself. Marshall makes one, (maybe 250-300 bucks used), which I have used in the past. THD also makes one that is supposed to be the "berries". I also have a Hot Rod Deluxe. They are LOUD for sure.

Another thing I have heard of, but not used are called "Yellow Jackets", made by THD also. You pull your 6L6's out and put in these adapter sockets with EL-84 tubes mounted in them. They supposedly make your 40 watts into maybe 22 watts. I here they change the sound a little though....

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
flashyone2 said:
How about a power soak?? They hook up between the amp and the speaker itself. Marshall makes one, (maybe 250-300 bucks used), which I have used in the past. THD also makes one that is supposed to be the "berries". I also have a Hot Rod Deluxe. They are LOUD for sure.

Another thing I have heard of, but not used are called "Yellow Jackets", made by THD also. You pull your 6L6's out and put in these adapter sockets with EL-84 tubes mounted in them. They supposedly make your 40 watts into maybe 22 watts. I here they change the sound a little though....
Power soaks are neat things - I have one here, but I never use it because they tend to chew up your tubes in a hurry. (At least they do if you are cranking the amp WAY up and then attenuating the sound WAY down with the power soak.) If you weren't cranking the volume on the amp up real high then maybe it would be easier on the tubes - not sure on this though.

Rj

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
I just sold a Power Soak. It tended to color my sound in a negative way. Worked great, but not the best transparency I have ever heard. The best thing I have personaly heard was the THD Hotplate. That is a highly regarded attenuator. Power tube grind is where the tone is and nothing satisfies quite like it. For me, the PODxt was the solution for recording low level. Check that THD. If you go attenuator, that's the one i would get hands down.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Another idea - if you have a 100 watt amp, you can take out two of the four tubes, and then reset the impedance to yur speaker accordingly (If it is normally 32 ohm, set to 16 etc) On my marshall this works very well and gives a better tone at lower volumes.

Rj

·
Registered
103 Posts
A decent little trick I learned from my Dual Rectifier was to turn on the effects loop, set your channel volume high enough to get the tubes kickin', and turn the effects master down to your desired level. Kind of a built-in power soak that doesn't mess with your tone. Don't know if your amp has an effects master though....if not....just pretend I never posted this.:smirk:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts