Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Do you prefer tubes, digital, or solidstate?

I used to be a solidstate-snob; I just hated tubes because none of them gave me the clean sound I wanted (Even Fender; I still don't like the Twin). Now I have a Hot Rod Deluxe, but for the longest time, I played clean through a Fender Rumble Bass amp. It just had what I wanted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Prefer tube, own solid....

I prefer tube, but can only afford solid state, I have a Fender 65 and it gets the job done, I never get it past 3, when I play live I'm miked and the other musicians are always yelling for me to turn it down, but there is no doubt to my ears that tube amps sound fatter, meatier, and cut through the noise better. I just have never seen the need to spend the extra money....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I prefer tubes, but don't use any of my amps often. Usually use go digital with amp modeling software (Amplitube 3 and GuitarRig 5). It's better suited for home recording straight to the PC and sound better than other digital amps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It actually depends on several things for me, for studio I use tubes but when we travel we use Solid, the tubes sound great but are very delicate.

I dont like modeling software, its cool to try new things if you cant afford to buy a lot of pedals but it always sound plastic and generic to me.

Theres a magic when you record with amps and mics and go to the studio the very next day, use he same setting and somehow it sounds a bit different.

One thing I like to keep in mind is that 50% of the tone comes from the musician.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts