Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another addition to the family on the way, the wife doesn't want to hear the noisey guitars anymore, so a pod is probably the answer. My questions are

1. Go with the pod xt, or save the dough and get the pod 2.0?

2. Can someone point me to an online site that I can get a pair of good quality headphones, with two connectors so I can hear the backing tracks through the pc and the pod at the same time, at a decent price?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the recent price reductions for the XT and the new updates I don't think it can be beat, don't know much about the headphones, hopefully someone else can give you a hand there, congrats BTW.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't think you need headphones to hear the PODxt through the computer at all.

All I do is hook the xt up with the USB cable . . .
Then I run a 1/4" stereo cable from the headphone jack of the POD and into a 1/4 to 1/8th" reducer.
Then I plug that into my mic input on my sound card and viola!
I can hear while I play no sweat. It works like a charm and sounds great - I've been doing it this way for about a year and a half and swear by it.

On another note . . . if you're going to spend $299.00 on the PODxt and maybe thinking about spending another $99.00 on the model packs . . .

Maybe you should wait just a few weeks and look into the "PODxt Live" - It's supposed to have all the features of the XT & Vetta AND all of the Model Packs combined into a floor unit. It has a USB out so it can be used the same way to record as the XT. Musician's Friend and American Musical are both showing the price to be $399.00

Check it out
HERE'S a review too.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Hi there,

Depends on whether you will use all the functionality of the PODxt.

You'll get model packs, Line6 Edit, and the Guitar Port software as well. So it will pretty much do anything you want it to do, and then some.

However, if you're going to end up just using one or two tones from it's arsenal, and not touch all the rest of the stuff that it can do for you, then why waste the money ? You might consider getting a V-AMP 2. Check out El_jalapeno's latest offering using a VAMP on Led Zep's Rock n Roll.

But if you're going to play around with all of the settings and tweak everything to continually create umpeen of your own tones, using all the numerous amp combinations and stomp boxes, then I higly recommend the POD xt.

I only say because I don't really use everything on my POD xt. I generally use it as a Tone jukebox. I just download a tone from the website (customtone.com), and take it as stock. However, I have recently started to dabble with the extra functionality of the POD xt, and am really impressed with how easy it is to use, and the fact that you have so many options available to you.

I am the kind of guy who is more comfortable having a unit that does more than I could possibly need, just in case, I ever get round to using the extra features. But if you're only going to use it as a tone jukebox, then the POD 2.0 might be for you.

Points to consider though are :
<ul type="square">[*]PODxt is Line6's flagship, so they are pushing all the updates and tones for that
[*]If you want to ensure you can use any tone you download, then the PODxt is the way to go, with the model packs to be sure
[*]PODxt is constantly getting updates, great support, and excellent (free) software to use. I think POD 2.0 has stopped being supported now ?
[/list]
Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys thanks for the advice. I went ahead and purchased a pod xt on Friday evening. I thought about the xt live, but since I really wanted it for my desktop anyway, I just went for it. Toyed around with it a little bit sat afternoon, I must say I was impressed. Works well with plugging into the pc, much better than the axsys 212 I had a few years ago. Are there any other tone library sites other than the one on the line 6 site?

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Congratulations ! You won't be dissapointed !

Definitely upgrade and get the Model Packs (pop the Latest USB driver on there, then download Line6 Monkey and he'll do the rest for you, all from Line6 website).

Oh, and some advice (that I need to take myself).

READ THE FOOKIN' MANUAL !!!

Otherwise, you're just not gonna know how to use it properly to it's full potential ! Just like me !!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want to get the most out of the pod, you have to spend some time tweaking it. I thought I put a lot of work into it, until I downloaded some patches from some guys who know what they're doing with all of the da llittle knobbies. Try a search on "Philbert's Patches" at the Line 6 forum (http://www.line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi) and download his latest patches for the XT tones. Gotta have the metal packs to use the absolute best tones. Makes the price easier to take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts