Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the CD/DVD combo of u2's latest yesterday and was disappointed from the purchase to the listening of entire record.
I was a bit peeved that they charged extra for the DVD edition (Metallica, KoRn (twice), and even Creed's Greatest Hits all have a bonus DVD at no extra charge!) for about $7.00 more. (There was a deluxe edition that came with a book for $30!) To be fair, STP charged extra for their DVD.
After hearing Vertigo, the record will just about put you to sleep. I've been hearing how this record is a return to roots for the band and how it's Edge's "guitar" record (from Bono himself!). I was always a fan of the band, but they lost me a bit after Achtung, Baby and just had a couple of sporadic songs I liked after that. I didn't care much for their last record (equally boring compared to the new one) and I had high-hopes for this new one.
It's probably one of those records that will grow on you after repeated-listenings, but I have to say my biggest disappointment was the cock-tease of Vertigo that made it seem this would've have been a balls-out rock record. (Vertigo is just about the only uptempo song on the CD!)
Hopefully the new tour will kick ass after seeing their performance on SNL this weekend and they'll make the new songs work for me live.
The DVD was just "okay" and certainly not worth the extra money.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I listened to the whole CD on there site and i know what you mean. I was hoping for a joshua Tree rocking CD. Its still good but mellow. As for the DVD i havent seen it but have you seen the Live at Slain Castle DVD? i picked it up last week and it is "GREAT"! They play there asses off in front of irish home-town crowd. Really a great DVD. :thumbup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
FH said:
I would've rather had spent my money on the Slane Castle DVD which is on my Christmas list!
It's supposed to be superior to the Boston show I have already.
That Slane Castle disc is awesome!!
It has better sound/content and video than the "Live in Boston" DVD.
Don't wait till Christmas if you can help it - LOL!! :thumb:

I know what you mean about the new disc though. I've listened to it a few times now and it does seem to get better each listen, but it still hasn't knocked my socks off. :dunno:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts