Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's because I am getting old, but no one seems to remember some of the great, classic rock bands that we, as kids, cut our teeth on. We all have memories of the groups that got us started playing guitar (or what ever instrument you play). "UFO" was a classic. "Rush" - (the first album), "Budgie", "The Police" - (the first album), "Gary Moore" - (Victims of the Future), "Thin Lizzy", "Montrose", Etc...
Yup, I'm getting old. Nevermind

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
You'll find a lot of the guys here are big fans of that stuff. My fave Budgie track is 'Parents', love Mr Moore and Thin Lizzy...I'm working on 'Still In Love With You' at the moment; and the track I'm posting tonight has a bit of a Thin Lizzy/Michael Schenker feel. I'm old too!

·
Registered
479 Posts
yeah, I'm an old fart too....thats the great thing about this site, a nice mix of players both new and old.... there was someone the other day (dont rember who) that had never heard of Rush.... it's our job to turn on these young'uns to the good stuff that we grew up with

·
Registered
23 Posts
yip SKYDOGS got it right,theres plenty of good bands coming through,but the youngs uns have got over 30 years of classic rock to catch up on,and there,s plenty bands out there still playing it.Could,nt believe that fellow did,nt know who RUSH were,Like saying who is Van Halen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For sure Cherry is a great song (The Bass!!) but i cant find nothing in the article about it ---maybe the link does not work
how can i say :For good
T.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In 1977 or 79, I seen UFO and AC/DC in Springfield, Illinois. UFO actually opened for AC/DC. I can honestly say that UFO was way more powerful and their show was much more emotional than what I seen from AC/DC that night.
Today, when the topic comes up and I mention this... the younger crowd just can't believe that AC/DC could have been blown away by a band they have never heard of.
I'm sure AC/DC was very good that night, but honestly, I went to see my favorite band at that time, UFO, and I wasn't disappointed. Also today, more than 20 years later, when I wanna get pumping... I pop "Force It" in the CD player on the way to a gig and I let it EAT!
It's as good today as it was then

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yea, I saw UFO around the same time as you did and I am thankful to have seen AC/DC (w/Bon Scott)as well back then. They both cater to a completely different emotional target but, do it better than anybody has ever done since. Misty Green and Blue (live versions) is staggeringly beautiful! There is no better purely driven rock than early AC/DC. -The 70's were just brilliant!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
strat78,
I think you pretty well summed it up. The 70's were brilliant. I miss it. The bands that appeared between 1974 and 1979 just kept hitting harder and harder. Seemed like every 6 months, I would hear a new band with a fresh new sound that would eventually become a classic. I guess the ones that stick out the most for me were Boston, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, UFO, Moxy, The Police, Sweet, Aerosmith, Starz and so many more that I can't begin to list them all. The great thing about these bands is that they weren't looking for commercial popularity back then and they all had a sound of their own. Boston was commercial from the beginning, but the other bands had to be accepted, and they were, with the exception of Moxy. I don't think that Moxy got the credits they deserved. The self-titled LP was Brilliant, but not enough airplay to get it heard.
Starz also had a sound of their own, and a couple hits, but these guys wrote songs about real life and they weren't afraid to express things that were considered sensitive. I think this may have kept them from getting the exposure they deserved.
70's were definately filled with powerful bands. They didn't try and sound alike. That's what made them great.
Now I will scare everyone and say that I am off to work and I just grabbed a CD from my shelf to listen to on the way to work, Elvis Costello - "My Aim Is True".
For those who Boo and Hiss... get this CD and listen to it a couple times, especially the lyrics

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
never by me. If it wern't for UFO (michael Schenker) and Deep purple, man, there might not have been Randy rhoades or Yngwie who borrowed so much from both bands. It's true

1 - 20 of 36 Posts