Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks. But what do you mean by "pretended to be"? I know that bands did a lot of over-dubs on live albums to give them a more "sonic vibe".

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ufo

Thanks. But what do you mean by "pretended to be"? I know that bands did a lot of over-dubs on live albums to give them a more "sonic vibe".
The original double LP album was recorded in 1978 at shows in Chicago and Louisville.
It was reissued in 1999 with an expanded edition featuring two bonus songs, "Hot 'N' Ready" and "Cherry". The pa announcement at the beginning of the expanded CD version indicates the first track was recorded in Chicago, however in the 2008 remaster the bonus songs are said to have been recorded in Youngstown on 15.10.1978 and Cleveland on 16.10.1978. The audience noise is from Chicago and the intro for the CD was used from the Chicago show. Two tracks, "This Kid's" and "Mother Mary" are actually studio tracks with crowd noise added.
Having said that, it's still a brilliant album.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Thank you! This is great! you ROCK!!! :rock:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Good god, what happened to a simple live album !!! still a classic though !

The original double LP album was recorded in 1978 at shows in Chicago and Louisville.
It was reissued in 1999 with an expanded edition featuring two bonus songs, "Hot 'N' Ready" and "Cherry". The pa announcement at the beginning of the expanded CD version indicates the first track was recorded in Chicago, however in the 2008 remaster the bonus songs are said to have been recorded in Youngstown on 15.10.1978 and Cleveland on 16.10.1978. The audience noise is from Chicago and the intro for the CD was used from the Chicago show. Two tracks, "This Kid's" and "Mother Mary" are actually studio tracks with crowd noise added.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks for reminding me:grin:! I forgot that S.I.T.N was put together from various shows.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks for the "real" Chicago show. I don't mind mixing of the live tracks but you really burst my bubble when you said that Mary and Kids are studio tracks. Have they been redone in the studio or taken off the official LPs?

R

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the "real" Chicago show. I don't mind mixing of the live tracks but you really burst my bubble when you said that Mary and Kids are studio tracks. Have they been redone in the studio or taken off the official LPs?

The original plan was for the album to be a single lp, however, based on the strong sales of Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, the big brass at Chrysalis gave Ron Nevison the go ahead to expand 'Strangers in the Night' to a double album. To fill out the entire four sides of vinyl, "Mother Mary" and "This Kid's" were recorded at the Record Plant during November 1978, and Nevison mixed in the recorded crowd noise from the October 13th gig in Chicago.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts