Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on WinMx and I think it's a great version of Dance the night away! There was no band name listed for the tribute...Does anyone know who this band is???

BTW I also found Motley Crue doing "Hot for Teacher" and Joe Walsh & Johnny Winter doing "Dance the night away".
2 very interesting covers.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
mikemellow said:
That guy sounds like the guy who sang on wah-wah's cover of On Fire a while back. Wah???

[/ QUOTE ]

Not guilty mate. It's of the Tribute to Van Halen album from a few years back...It's Reb Beach on guitar...I think it's Joe Lynn Turner but if you type Tribute To Van Halen album in Google, you'll get it. Guitarist wise Jake E Lee, Reb Beech, Doug Aldrich, Dweezil Zappa, the Ratt guys etc are all on there.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Here's some info...

Track Listings
1. Unchained
2. I'm The One
3. Dance The Night Away
4. Light Up The Sky
5. Panama
6. Hot For Teacher
7. Running With The Devil
8. Pretty Woman
9. Atomic Punk
10. So This Is Love
11. Little Guitars

Features: Ex-members of Black Sabbath, Kiss, Wasp, Tubes, Ozzy Osbourne, Poison, Motley Crue, Rainbow, Great White, David Lee Roth, Thin Lizzy, Slaughter, Dokken, Mr Big, Scream, Union, King Crimson, Journey and Whitesnake.

Tribute albums are normally reserved for those artists whose contributions have had a lasting influence on the industry. However that criteria doesn't exist anymore. If you undertake a cursory investigation you will find tribute albums afforded to any and every artist nowadays regardless of influence or longevity. The fact that Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys and 'N Sync all have tribute albums is a travesty; they've proven nothing. Until the fall of 1997, Van Halen, one of the most influential rock bands of the past 25 years had not been bestowed such an honor. Unfortunately for Van Halen fans, the two tribute albums that were released were a major disappointments.

Everybody Wants Some and Hot For Remixes were more of a parody of Van Halen's music than a bone-fide tribute. Everybody Wants Some featured a ridiculous array of underground bands from every style of music imaginable, performing renditions that sounded nothing like the original songs themselves. It reminded me of Richard Carpenter's laughable Carpenters Tribute, If I Were a Carpenter, that featured acts like Sonic Youth and 4 Non Blondes systematically destroying classic cuts from the Carpenters catalog. Hot For Remixes fared no better as it housed brutal electronica versions of the band's material.

On the other hand, Little Guitars: A Tribute to Van Halen is the quintessential Van Halen tribute album. For Van Halen purists, the disc's most outstanding attribute is that it totally bypasses the Sammy Hagar/Gary Cherone periods, focusing instead on the only incarnation of the band that really mattered, which was the original lineup of David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony, Alex and Edward Van Halen.

Instead of employing the services of various established bands, producer Bob Kulick puts together a unique collection of artists to cover the material while maintaining the spirit, energy and integrity of the original versions. The pairing of musicians for each song is in itself interesting. "Unchained" features vocalist Jack Russell (Great White), drummer Eric Singer (Kiss), bassist Marco Mendoza and guitarist Dweezil Zappa while Stephen Pearcy (Ratt), Jake E. Lee (Ozzy Osbourne), Tim Bogert (Vanilla Fudge) and Frankie Banali (Quiet Riot) torch "Running With The Devil." The album's most stunning moment comes courtesy of "Light Up the Sky" which combines the powerful vocal chops of Doug Pinnick (King's X) with Yngwie Malmsteen's searing guitar licks and Billy Sheehan's driving bass lines. Other outstanding performances include vocalist Jeff Scott Soto and guitarist Blue Saraceno on "So This Is Love," David Glen Eisley (Guiffria) and guitarist Mitch Perry on "Little Guitars" and Fee Waybill (Tubes) with guitarist Brad Gillis (Night Ranger) on "Atomic Punk."

Little Guitars: A Tribute to Van Halen without question is the only Van Halen tribute album on the shelves worthy of being deemed a true tribute record. So if you purchase any of the other counterfeits, don't say you weren't warned!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This was aweosme I am definetly going to have to see if I can find this one!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
wahwah said:
I can post a bit in bootlegs for a bit if ya'd like? I mean these guys bootlegged the originals...look out in the boots section!

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be awesome

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
FUCK! And I don't mean the VH album! Looked thru 110 cd-roms of mp3's and found the VH tribute tracks. Tried to copy them and a message saying something like ' can't copy-cyclical disc error' WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ABOUT!
However, I did sort some beautiful stuff out you might not have heard so I'm gonna post some now! I hate PC's.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for tryin' Wah....I just played Dance tribute for a friend of mine and now he wants to hear the rest of the cd. I gotta get me a copy.

Found some Gems though huh? When I get to work in the morning with the Highspeed internet, I'll give 'em a listen! My dial-up at home sucks major arse.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy Crap! The whole album\'s mp3\'s FREE FOR download!!

Go here:
http://www.classicvanhalen.com/ta1.shtml

On the right of the page, click the mp3 links for each track review, it takes you to where you can download the whole song for FREE!...wtf? I just Dl'd Unchained and it sounds kickass......

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: Holy Crap! The whole album\'s mp3\'s FREE FOR download!!

Hey gang, That whole album is great! I know that I'm on sacred ground here, but the version of So This Is Love is every bit as good as the original. Jeff Scott Soto should replace Sammy!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Re: Holy Crap! The whole album\'s mp3\'s FREE FOR download!!

Wow! Thanx for that link Riff

All the tunes and covers too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts