Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worry that USB would be too slow and introduce too much latency but I hear that some of these are actually pretty decent. Who here uses a USB soundcard for recording? How is the latency? Can you get comparable sample rates opposed to internal cards without issue? Which one you use?

My PC is starting to worry me and really to make it a nice DAW I would be replacing a lot of it anyway. I thought maybe a laptop would better fulfil my needs but you can't exactly replace the onboard sound unless you go USB. The portability is very tempting but I want to know that it will actually work as advertized.

I would probably look mostly as MAudio devices since they appear to be totally Linux compatible and that is very important to me. Interested especially in how well MAudio USB compares to MAudio PCI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
nroberts said:
I worry that USB would be too slow and introduce too much latency but I hear that some of these are actually pretty decent. Who here uses a USB soundcard for recording? How is the latency? Can you get comparable sample rates opposed to internal cards without issue? Which one you use?

My PC is starting to worry me and really to make it a nice DAW I would be replacing a lot of it anyway. I thought maybe a laptop would better fulfil my needs but you can't exactly replace the onboard sound unless you go USB. The portability is very tempting but I want to know that it will actually work as advertized.

I would probably look mostly as MAudio devices since they appear to be totally Linux compatible and that is very important to me. Interested especially in how well MAudio USB compares to MAudio PCI.


If you go to Tweakheadz.com they've got reading beyond belief. Might find an answer on that laptop. From what I understand I wouldnt use one for my main recording rig. check em out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supersonic said:
If you go to Tweakheadz.com they've got reading beyond belief. Might find an answer on that laptop. From what I understand I wouldnt use one for my main recording rig. check em out!
nice site, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,017 Posts
I used to use a tascam 122 USB soundcard/preamp. No latency that I could tell. Now I have a Firewire 410....but USB 2 ports are even faster. Not much of an issue if you are only recording 1 track at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
i use a USB souncard works great and i havnt really noticed any latency
 

·
excess to requirements
Joined
·
7,118 Posts
VHfanOU812 said:
I used to use a tascam 122 USB soundcard/preamp. No latency that I could tell. Now I have a Firewire 410....but USB 2 ports are even faster. Not much of an issue if you are only recording 1 track at a time.
I think it was sting who said that firewire was actually more stable than USB. I know that the dear departed Brain police had issues with his usb card. Not so much a latency but definately a syncing problem.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top